Boiling Pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on what works for you and how serious you are about brewing beer as a hobby. Some guys use these ceramic pots exclusively just because they are so inexpensive. They work fine as long as you don't chip off the ceramic coating. Stainless is typically more durable. If you think you are going to stick with the hobby and move to full boils at some point, you are probably going to want something that holds at least 30 qts. If you aren't sure if you like brewing, just buy the pot at Walmart for the time being.

It depends on you future brewing plans and budget but I would recommend a larger pot for the option of full boils. I bought an 11-gallon bayou classic that collects dust now that I moved to 10-gallon batches.

Spend the $13 on a cheap pot and see if you like brewing. The ceramic pots are really thin and can scorch the wort if you aren't careful. If you find you love brewing, then spend the money and get a big stainless pot. Get at least a 32 qt pot that will do you until you HAVE to go to 10 gallon batches :mug:

they have 5 gallon stock pots at walmart. stainless for <$40 I believe. and I mean, its a pot, not a carboy. even if you decide you aren't into brewing, you can always use a nice large pot for stews and soups :mug:

I recently got a 38 qt. aluminum tamale steamer from Target for $24.99. That was back in March, but I'm sure there's something similar out there. It's nice to be able to do 6.5 gallons at once for a low, low price.

+1 what Ricand said.

I don't like the ceramic coated steel canning pots because they are really wide. You get a lot of boil off on those. I'd look at the SS line of pots that WallyWorld carries. They offer a couple of inexpensive tri-clad pots.

Also, I initially wanted to go bigger, but since I have an electric range I can't get much more than 4.5 gallons boiling. A 5.5 gallon kettle has just enough room. If you have a gas range that will put out enough BTU's, I'd spring for pot big enough to do a full boil for a 5 gallon batch. when you get started, you'll be surprised by how much a couple of quarts of extra room can make a big difference.

BTW Welcome aboard.

I just did my first 5 gallon. I already decided 10 gallons seems much more worth it for the effort involved. Not sure if 62 or 82 quarts (SS) would make more sense for 10 gallons. But I think 16 qt could be frustrating. I thought these looked decent

http://bayouclassicdepot.com/stainless_steel_stock_pot.htm

Yeah this happens pretty quickly. I love my converted kegs, they are just the right size and shape for 10 gallon batches. Start looking on Craigslist, you'll find one soon enough. Here yah go pj Kegs for Sale not the best price, but $50 isn't too bad.

I have actually been brewing (if you can call mr beer brewing) for some ten years. I was fine with 12 quarts at one time, so I think a 5 gallon batch is going to be fine. I came across one of those bayou things complete with burner just last weekend for $10 and passed, did not know I was going to need one this week! I'm all set for my first boil this weekend, got the Brewer's Best kit, a Better Bottle and a Summer Ale to get started.

It looks like I will have the 16qt stainless with glass top at the house when I get home. Plan on doing my first boil tomorrow. I'm cheap and that 38qt aluminum tamale steamer would give me the full boil capability, is aluminium suitable? Seems like it could scratch more easily and affect ability to sterilize.

It looks like I will have the 16qt stainless with glass top at the house when I get home. Plan on doing my first boil tomorrow. I'm cheap and that 38qt aluminum tamale steamer would give me the full boil capability, is aluminium suitable? Seems like it could scratch more easily and affect ability to sterilize.

You don't really have to worry about sanitation with your pot, it stays at 212 degrees throughout the boil, plenty hot to kill off anything we're worried about

I just use dish soap to clean my pot

So it does not matter if it is "brushed" stainless steel or aluminum versus "shiny"?

I'm also curious about this, I have a thin stainless steel pot that I used for my first two batches. I borrowed a brushed aluminum pot from a friend that is slighty thicker, which would work best?

I'm also curious about this, I have a thin stainless steel pot that I used for my first two batches. I borrowed a brushed aluminum pot from a friend that is slighty thicker, which would work best?

What you need to worry about with the thin pots are scalding the wort at the bottom. One tip is that once you get the water to a boil, you turn your burner off (if gas) when you pour in the malt so it doesn't go to the bottom and burn or pour in the malt gradually, because it heads straight to the bottom of the pot when you pour it in. Once it is stirred in well, restart the flame. My pot, which costs $45 or so at Walmart, has a thick bottom (aluminum insert), which helps spread out the heat.

Check out your local restaurant supply store. It's likely that they'll have a pot that's the same price as the one you're gonna buy but twice the size.

Back