Low Post Boil Volume

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gpogo

Reaction score
Just finished my first AG batch. I used Ed Wort's Haus Pale.

A few mistakes occurred. I meant to divide my sparge in half and sparge twice like Bobby M suggests on his website: All Grain. I mashed in with 3.5 gallons, and sparged with a total of 4 gallons. I unfortunately did not check how much wort I had pre-boil, it was more than 5 gallons, but less than 7.5.

After cooling my wort and transferring I ended up with 4 gallons. A brief look at the hydrometer looks to be an OG of 1.062 opposed to the expected 1.051. I suppose this means that I boiled more water than I expected, and possibly did not have a large enough pre boil volume.

Would adding water be an acceptable plan to drop the gravity?

I guess the lesson for my next brew is keep more accurate measurements of what volume of wort I have after mashing so I am sure to sparge with the correct amount.

I guess the lesson for my next brew is keep more accurate measurements of what volume of wort I have after mashing so I am sure to sparge with the correct amount.

Yep, that's a good lesson! I have markings on my brewpot and on my sparge water pot, so I can get closer to what I need, and after a while I hit it pretty much dead on. You'll also be more familiar with your boil off rate, so that will help. I brew indoors on my stove, and my boil off rate is much less than outside on a keggle, so I always ended up with too much wort, until I finally got the volumes right!

After cooling my wort and transferring I ended up with 4 gallons. A brief look at the hydrometer looks to be an OG of 1.062 opposed to the expected 1.051. I suppose this means that I boiled more water than I expected, and possibly did not have a large enough pre boil volume.

I did the same exact thing this weekend with my oatmeal stout. I had 5.75 pre boil and 4.5 post with an og of 1.062 However I decided to leave it alone (4.5 @ 1.062) We will see how it turns out.

Just finished my first AG batch. I used Ed Wort's Haus Pale.

A few mistakes occurred. I meant to divide my sparge in half and sparge twice like Bobby M suggests on his website: All Grain. I mashed in with 3.5 gallons, and sparged with a total of 4 gallons. I unfortunately did not check how much wort I had pre-boil, it was more than 5 gallons, but less than 7.5.

Would adding water be an acceptable plan to drop the gravity?

This was pretty much exactly how my 1st Ag went....even the same recipe and OG. ;)

I only ended up with 4.25 gallons @ like 1.062 but never topped off with water which i should have....but live and learn...I'm drinking them now and there still pretty good....maybe a tad sweeter and a little more alcohol then the intended recipe but I like em and the next round of Ed's Haus went much better

Back