Instruction following... FAIL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undertow

Reaction score
Ok, so I brewed a vanilla porter (partial mash). It is in the primary bubbling quite happily.

I later noticed however that I did not add in about 2 lbs of ME. (I feel quite mentally slow for doing such).

Is there a way that this can be added?

what an acceptable water to lb of ME ratio? I am seeing 1.5:1 qt./lb in "How To Brew".

wouldn't I need to get this to 212 to sterilize?

Dry or liquid? The former, just enough water to dissolve it. I'd start with a quart.

it is liquid. I think that I will take a half gallon of the partially fermented wort and get the LME boiled, dissolved and re-entered into the primary. I would use water and add to the primary, but it is close to topped off already.

Any issues with that?

is there any issue with re-boiling partially fermented mash to get in the malt extract? The smell is not as "pleasing" as the initial boil.

is there any issue with re-boiling partially fermented mash to get in the malt extract? The smell is not as "pleasing" as the initial boil.

I wouldn't reboil beer- you'll boil off the alcohol, and the aroma/flavor hops. I don't usually boil extract, but if you feel that you must you can do it in as little bit of water as you can and then cool it and add it to the fermenter.

Yeah, you don't need to boil the extract. Just get a small amount of water up to a boil, take it off the head and dissolve the extract into it. It won't take much. Once it cools to room temp (I'd keep it covered and put it in a sink of cold water) pour it into the fermenter. The extract shouldn't have any bugs in it, because if it did it would already be foaming and fermenting and whatnot.

Back