2 Below.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigKahuna

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Checking out a 6 pack of New Belgium's 2 below last night. I cant' see anywhere that it says what "Style" of beer it is. Judging by taste, I'd call it an IPA! IT's the coldest beer I've seen in their mix, as they suggest serving it at like 37F.
It had a very nice hop nose and a really nice taste, with what I would actually judge to be a lacking of malty background....not that I didn't like it...I love the hop beer.
All of this to ask, IS THIS AN IPA Or What?

I honestly wouldn't know how to classify this beer either. I haven't had it in about a year, but I loved it. The dry-hopping is definately evident here.

I've google it, and three different sites called it different things including Strong Ale/ESB and American IPA.

I tend to be annoyed when commercial beer doesn't tell you enough about the beer on the bottle/packaging. Even a simple thing like ABV....sometimes I can't find it anywhere on the bottle.

I always just go to beer Advocate or Rate Beer to get more info on the beer.....or straight to the brewery's website.

It is a winter warmer.

I would call it an ESB if I had to put it into a style. But I'd just call it a winter warmer and leave it at that.

Loved the first years batch of 2 below, last years was 'meh, we'll have to see about this years. I'd describe it as an overhopped amber.

I almost think I have a bad batch. I'm picking up some hops, but mine is fairly malty and tastes almost exactly like Fat Tire, but with a bit more floral character. I'll have to see what happens when it's warmer, but it's definately not like what I remember from a couple years back.

I almost think I have a bad batch. I'm picking up some hops, but mine is fairly malty and tastes almost exactly like Fat Tire, but with a bit more floral character. I'll have to see what happens when it's warmer, but it's definately not like what I remember from a couple years back.

You must have a bad batch. The stuff I've tasted had a very pronounced crisp dry-hopped flavor.

Oh man, I adore this stuff. Too bad I can't get it here in Cincinnati. I definitely wouldn't call it an IPA, but it is much more floral and spicy than Fat Tire. I dunno, I classify it as "BrewWench's Faves."

Back