Specialty IPA: Rye IPA Bee Cave Brewery Rye IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thinking about a Rye IPA for February. Here is the extract recipe Im thinking of sofar.

6lb Light LME
1lb Munich LME
1lb Honey
8oz Flaked Rye (steeped @ 155 for 30min)
8oz Crystal 40L (steeped)
1tsp Yeast Nutrient
Whirlfloc @ 15
1oz Magnum @ 60min
.5oz Mosaic @15
.5oz Nelson Sauvign @15
.5oz Mosaic @ 0
.5oz Nelson Sauvign @0
1 oz Nelson dry-hopped in secondary
Wyeast 3711 (91% Atttenuation)

Brew software Calcs at 74 IBUs

Im hoping the fruity hops and dry/spicyness from rye and yeast will blend nicely, but not result in a crazy bitter beer.

Thinking about a Rye IPA for February. Here is the extract recipe Im thinking of sofar.

6lb Light LME
1lb Munich LME
1lb Honey
8oz Flaked Rye (steeped @ 155 for 30min)
8oz Crystal 40L (steeped)
1tsp Yeast Nutrient
Whirlfloc @ 15
1oz Magnum @ 60min
.5oz Mosaic @15
.5oz Nelson Sauvign @15
.5oz Mosaic @ 0
.5oz Nelson Sauvign @0
1 oz Nelson dry-hopped in secondary
Wyeast 3711 (91% Atttenuation)

Brew software Calcs at 74 IBUs

Im hoping the fruity hops and dry/spicyness from rye and yeast will blend nicely, but not result in a crazy bitter beer.

Sounds good I did something similar but with Amarillo and Strisselspalt and it turned out very tasty. I used Belle Saison dry yeast instead of the 3711 but they are the same strain and have a very similar flavour profile and behaviour.
I haven't checked your numbers but be aware that mine finished at 1.002 and I ended up with a 9.5% beer.
Tasted very good but not a session beer :drunk:
I also made the "mistake" of adding 1/2 lb of Honey to make it more farmhouse like but depending on what stage you add it to the process this yeast will just eat it up and convert it to alcohol leaving no Honey flavour behind.

Anyone ever use flakes in stead of malted rye for this?
I might have half a day free to do a quick brew this Friday so was thinking of doing a BIAB. Using the flakes means I wouldn't have to crush the Rye Malt which would also save some time.

Thinking about going for Columbus (bittering) and Amarillo & Simcoe for flavor and Aroma.

I don't know if my keg is too cold or beer is too young, but im not getting the famous head everyone is talking about..

Thanks again Edwort!

BCRyeIPA.jpg

My version of this recipe just took gold in the specialty category for the Philly leg of the NHC and is advancing to the final round in San Diego. That makes 3 golds, 1 bronze and a 2nd place Best of Show award so far...I think I would qualify it as a winner!!

My version of this recipe just took gold in the specialty category for the Philly leg of the NHC and is advancing to the final round in San Diego. That makes 3 golds, 1 bronze and a 2nd place Best of Show award so far...I think I would qualify it as a winner!!

Great stuff. I'm going to order half a pound of Mosaic soon so I'll give your version a go in the near future. :mug:

Great stuff. I'm going to order half a pound of Mosaic soon so I'll give your version a go in the near future. :mug:

So finally I have almost everything here and the time to brew.
I'm only going to make a few small changes.
Firstly for the 60 min addition I will use Summit and secondly I didn't have enough Vienna malt to stick to the original malt bill.
I wanted to add 1kg but only had 700g. The remaining 300g will be subbed with light Munich so it shouldn't make much of a difference.

Really looking forward to this.
The last version I did was Columbus, Amarillo, Simcoe and everyone loved it.
They keep annoying me to brew something similar again.:mug:

So finally I have almost everything here and the time to brew.
I'm only going to make a few small changes.
Firstly for the 60 min addition I will use Summit and secondly I didn't have enough Vienna malt to stick to the original malt bill.
I wanted to add 1kg but only had 700g. The remaining 300g will be subbed with light Munich so it shouldn't make much of a difference.

Really looking forward to this.
The last version I did was Columbus, Amarillo, Simcoe and everyone loved it.
They keep annoying me to brew something similar again.:mug:

Nice, let us know how it turns out!

My entry into finals of NHC scored a 40 by both judges but sadly didn't place...there's always next year!

Excited to brew this again for the 3rd or 4th time. I always enjoy this when the weather turns cooler. Trying mangrove jacks west coast yeast this go around. Recipe as posted.

Nice, let us know how it turns out!

My entry into finals of NHC scored a 40 by both judges but sadly didn't place...there's always next year!

Brewed mine almost 3 weeks ago now.
I just got back from a week away on holiday so I haven't had a chance to measure the SG yet but I'm going to add 1oz each of Mosaic and Citra tomorrow and will take a sample it then. Will bottle it next weekend if I'm sure it is finished; should be after 4 weeks. :ban:

So 2 weeks in the bottle now.
When I tasted it a few days ago the Citra was the strongest flavour I could get but now the Mosaic is fighting it's way through. whichever one wins out the two are lovely together.

Anyway it's tasting very good now but as it had an OG of 1.073 and finished at 1.012 with an abv. of about 8% and almost 75 IBUs it still needs a bit of aging. It's actually on the border of being an Imperial IPA. I'll report back around the end of the month. :tank:

I brewed this last night. Forgot to take a gravity reading but I'm not too concerned. I think the brew day went pretty well. No major mishaps. Plan on leaving in primary for at least 3 weeks then kegging.

So 2 weeks in the bottle now.
When I tasted it a few days ago the Citra was the strongest flavour I could get but now the Mosaic is fighting it's way through. whichever one wins out the two are lovely together.

Anyway it's tasting very good now but as it had an OG of 1.073 and finished at 1.012 with an abv. of about 8% and almost 75 IBUs it still needs a bit of aging. It's actually on the border of being an Imperial IPA. I'll report back around the end of the month. :tank:

So drinking one of these right now.
Tastes great but if you want to make it a cheaper brew I wouldn't hesitate to brew it without the dry hops. My previous version with Columbus, Amarillo and Simcoe without dry hopping was also fantastic.
All depends on what you are aiming for.
It's such a great grain bill that you can really experiment with it.
In fact next time I think I will give the OP version a try as I haven't done that yet.

Has anyone tried this recipe, substituting in Wyeast 1450? First time using this yeast and plan to do up a 2.5 gallon batch in the next week or so. Heard 1450 is a very low-floc strain, all advice appreciated and welcome.

Has anyone tried this recipe, substituting in Wyeast 1450? First time using this yeast and plan to do up a 2.5 gallon batch in the next week or so. Heard 1450 is a very low-floc strain, all advice appreciated and welcome.

IMO, it doesnt really matter what yeast you use in an IPA (apart from IPA substyles and a few exceptions like conan and wy1318). The yeast is far from the focus of the beer. Everythign is just a vehicle for you to experience the hops. For an IPA, the yeasts job is to get the beer dry, and then get out of the way (i.e. no notable yeast esters). Any clean, medium to high attenuating yeast will do fine in an IPA

Rye beers generally don't really get clear, they're a little murky.
1450 will flocc out fine. I've used it multiple times in a different popular rye IPA recipe.

I have a batch I brewed a few weeks ago and been kegged for two weeks or so now. It's great and very drinkable, but the more I drink it the more I notice a very yeasty smell and flavor. What could cause the yeastiness? I used US-05, but didn't rehydrate. Could this be why since the OG is a little higher than most of my brews?

Made this recipe twice now - once using WY 1450 (Denny's favorite), and just bottled using the OP's recommended Safale 05. The WY 1450 version was delicious! Saved one bottle for a side-by-side when the Safale version is ready in a few weeks. Great recipe, thanks!

This is a fantastic recipe!! Thanks Ed! I made it last time with the Chinook hops but I have a lb of nugget and was wondering what the difference would be. Thanks in advance.

Thinking of brewing this one again soon; ages ago since I brewed a beer with rye.
I actually weighted out all the grains a few months ago for a 4 beer brew day but started too late and had to postpone this one. :eek:

Anyway I have the grains weighed but want to try something different with the hop combination. I already brewed it 4 times with US-05 once with Amarillo and Simcoe, once with Cluster and Mosaic and once with Citra and Mosaic.
Also one time with Amarillo and Strisselspalt and Belle Saison (9.5% :eek:)
All fantastic beers.

I was thinking this time to try Galaxy and Sorachi Ace.

I also have:
Topaz, Ella, Amarillo, Citra, Simcoe, Columbus, Nugget, Vic Secret, Fuggles, Willamette, EKG, Pearle, Saaz, FF, Magnum, Taurus, Styrian Goldings, Aurora, Tettnang, Chinook, Mittelfrueh, Cascade and a few others.

Any suggestions or the Galaxy/Soarchi would be good?

Thanks!

:mug:

BCB Rye IPA

This is a tasty, yet big beer at 7.2% abv. The flaked barley gives it incredible head retention and a cascading effect like a nitrogen pour.

10# 2 Row Pils
2# Rye
2# Vienna
12 oz. Crystal 60L
8 oz. Flaked Barley

1 oz. Tettnanger FWH 4.4% (First Wort Hopped)
1 oz. Chinook 60 min 12%
0.5 oz. Chinook 30 min 12%
0.5 oz. Chinook 5 min 12%

Mashed in at 154 degrees for 70 minutes. Ran off 7 gallons and boiled for 90 minutes.

BCB-RyeIPA.jpg
I've learned a lot from your beer mentoring. Thank you. I've been living in HopHeaven for a couple of years (Oregon-Bend). What would you think about Centennial and Citra for whirlpool and dry hop? I'm awaiting delivery of some 2017 harvest from Puterberg in Washington.

Newbie here, just wondering if I used Falconer’s flight instead of the chinook hops would I be pleased with the result?

Newbie here, just wondering if I used Falconer’s flight instead of the chinook hops would I be pleased with the result?

Only way is to try it and find out. We all have different tastes. But I did a IPA with Millennium and Falconers hops as a tribute to to the late great Han Solo and it was worthy of his name. Lots of grapefruit from the falconers if thats what your going for.

I just found this from GF Brewing- “Columbus & Mosaic hops, rich crystal malts and a touch of spicy rye malt build a mildly sweet, tannic base for Mosaic & Amarillo dry hopping."
Any thoughts/suggestions Ed?

Back