No Rush, But?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JerD

Reaction score
My first batch is in the fermenter and has been for 15 days. The FG is supposed to be 1.010-1.012. I'm at 1.015. The beer smells great and I would have tasted it but there is a whole lot of settling to do. I'm in no rush to bottle and drink, I just want to be sure I don't need to do anything else before it's too late. I used a True Brew Pale Ale kit and the yeast that came with it. I'll happily leave it alone for however long it takes, I just want to avoid O2 problems.

There's no harm in leaving it alone. You could easily leave it in primary for a couple more weeks without any issues, or confirm that the gravity is steady and transfer to secondary to clear. Either way, you won't be bottling for a couple weeks.

Your beer is blanketed in Co2, and is perfectly safe from oxygen. I'd leave it in there at least another week, and even longer won't hurt. In fact, it will probably help.

Your beer is blanketed in Co2, and is perfectly safe from oxygen. I'd leave it in there at least another week, and even longer won't hurt. In fact, it will probably help.

+1...i do this all the time and haven't had a problem plus some of the dry yeast packets for me atleast have pooped out with a fairly high final gravity. Its normal. You could syphon some out with a sanatised hose and taste it and see if its done. Routinely ill drink my hydrometer jar after i take readings and that way i always get an idea of whats happening

Another week will do no harm.

Just wondering - how confident are you in your hydrometer calibration and technique that a difference of three one thousandths is accurate?

Back