Gravity Reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saxmk6

Reaction score
Hi all! Just a fast question. In december I tried brewing my first mead. I had a starting gravity of 1.54.

Today I am bottling and my finishing gravity is 1.00. The gravity reading do not actually match my directions gravity, but I am going to bottle it in just a few minutes. I tasted the mead after my gravity reading and it is very watery.

My question is, do you think my gravity readings are ok?

I assume you mean an OG of 1.054, which is about 1 1/3 pounds of honey per gallon. This is a fairly low gravity mead (a hydromel). A standard mead has on OG between 1.080 and 1.120. You may not have much flavor because there isn't too much honey in it. You might want to backsweeten your mead. This should give you more of a honey profile and a little sweetness. You'd need to add camden tablets and sorbate to inhibit renewed fermentation.

What Yeast did you use? I think that 1.00 is a little high to bottle. and Yes, you have a very light mead. I don't think it will be bad, but It will probably be a little "Watery" That's ok though. How big of a batch? You could hit it with a second feeding of Honey and up the ABV if you haven't' bottled yet.
Has your gravity been stable for several readings? I'm just afraid that at 1.0 you are going to pop corks.

well Ok Thanks. I had a 6 gal batch, and I have had a relitavely steady reading for about three weeks now. I will try feeding more and see what happens. Thank you both for your help. It is great to have a place to bounce ideas around. This is my first mead, so i will listen to advice and let it go.

Thanks

I agree with the rest of the posters- even though it's a light mead, 4 months is pretty early to bottle, stable sg or not. If the sg was really 1.054, you could definitely had some more honey, or some fruit, for more fementables if you'd like. It should have actually finished around .990 or so, depending on what type of yeast you used.

Latest posts

Back