Lager in the South?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silviakitty

Reaction score
This might be something that's been done to death, but what's the best way to make lager in warmer climates?

The only way I can think of to do so is to buy a fridge specifically for the task, and I'm wondering if a small cube-fridge would do the trick. You see, we don't have basements here due to the water table, and right now it's 69 degrees outside.

Making a lager is not something I'm likely to be doing for a while as I'm still exploring ales, but I kind of want to get my research done before I even think about making my first.

Any opinions? Anybody found a good, cheap way?

Any fridge/freezer that will hold a carboy/fermenter will do if usesdin conjuction with a analog or digital temperature controller.

The controller will allow you to set the temperature from freezing to ambient room temp.

This will be useful for controlling your ale fermentations as well as lagers down the road.

I'm in the same situation as you, but in Houston. Most folks around here go get a scratch & dent deep freeze and hook up the temperature controller. I use it for ales and lagers.

TL

Keep an eye on craigslist and you'll be amazed at how cheap you can find a working fridge or freezer.

One good way to do it is to use a Lager yeast like WPL810 that can handle higher temperatures and ferment in the winter. I live in Alabama and have had a few successfull batches that way, just lagering in the garage or on the back porch in the shade.

I'm not saying thats the best way or anything, but it wont cost you as much as buying a freezer and temperature controller.

Back