Brew shed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer3401

Reaction score
Got the green light. Anyone with plans ?
I have a structure with 165 sq ft (135 sq ft inside usable space - 9' x 15')
Also want to have a nook for the grain mill.
Footprint on it is small.

Thanks

go down to lowes and check out their sheds. Take a pencil, paper and a tape measure. Then build it yourself. Draw up your own plans. :rockin:

Mine is 16x16 but it doubles as a storage area too.
1332-P1010050.JPG

Just make sure that you have enough air movement for boiling, I have a gable vent fan on one end and keep the door open on the other side, but it still get hotter than hell in the summer (hit 108 when I was brewing the other day).
Have at least true 8' ceiling/rafters so if you do AG 3 -tier you have some room overhead:
1332-P1010046.JPG

And have plenty of outlets if you run electric, that way you can have many fans and a kick ass stereo for brewing time. Check out my gallery and you can see some pics of the inside of mine.
One last thing make sure you have an area out side the BrewShed to clean equipment, I will be adding a small electric water heater to mine this winter.

It might be nice to have water inside but if that is cost prohibitive then outside with one of those shop sinks so that you can wash up your gear and let it drip dry. Congrats on your brew shed.............I'm using my 1/2 of my 1/2 of the garage for all my gear. My wife gets her 1/2 and 1/2 of my 1/2 or something like that.

runhard said:
It might be nice to have water inside but if that is cost prohibitive then outside with one of those shop sinks so that you can wash up your gear and let it drip dry. Congrats on your brew shed.............I'm using my 1/2 of my 1/2 of the garage for all my gear. My wife gets her 1/2 and 1/2 of my 1/2 or something like that.

True about the Wife, so true. But I am still LMFAO!!!:cross:

Vent and water both good thoughts. I need permanent elec. for the chest freezers (and A/C unit when I brew). I could do either a temp hookup for water with an exterior hookup. As far as cleaning, I use 12.50 gal pots so I can just bring outside to clean.
Thanks for the info.

I had another thought this morning as I was lugging around a propane tank. If I ever get to have a brewshed I think I'll add natural gas. I know a few people who have natural gas burners and they sure like them. Sounds like you have a nice project ready to go.

I wish I could run NG to mine but instead I am going to check with the propane folks about a large tank.

If I had the opportunity to do this, I'd go all out and insulate as well. Then you'll be able to use heating/AC and maintain temp year round.

B3410-

I have a shop/ brewery/ garage bldg. (16x20 brew area). Water would have been nice, but prohibitive. Gas, ditto. But the elec. w/ perm A/C & heat, and insulation under sheetrock is awesome. In your climate, portable A/C & a ferm. freezer might make sense. Do you really need a heater?

Sully

Nat Gas, water, insulation all great ideas.

I use a 23 jet NG rig now. I love it. If I do NG, I'll probably use 10 jet burners (which is what I started with).

A/C is a must. Water is a must also, for make up water and for my IC to cool the wort. Side note: Use tap water to get t within 5 F of ambient water temp, then recirculate with a fountain/pond pump with ice water.

Using 1 large bag of ice, I get to under 55 F within 20 minutes (10 minutes to 105 F, then 10 minutes w/ice water to get to 55 F)

I do need a vent, especially if I can only use propane.

One last thing make sure you have an area out side the BrewShed to clean equipment, I will be adding a small electric water heater to mine this winter.[/quote]

What is the inside dimensions ?

And have plenty of outlets if you run electric, that way you can have many fans and a kick ass stereo for brewing time. Check out my gallery and you can see some pics of the inside of mine.
One last thing make sure you have an area out side the BrewShed to clean equipment, I will be adding a small electric water heater to mine this winter.[/quote]

Crap, forgot to ask. Did you build your stand yourself ?

You might want to consider building it out of 104 5/8" or 116 5/8" or even 10' studs rather that the standard 92 5/8" studs. That extra foot or 2 can really make a big difference if you have a brew tree. A high ceiling also helps keep the shed cooler. Another thing you could do would be to use scissor trusts that would also give you some more ceiling height.

abracadabra said:
You might want to consider building it out of 104 5/8" or 116 5/8" or even 10' studs rather that the standard 92 5/8" studs. That extra foot or 2 can really make a big difference if you have a brew tree. A high ceiling also helps keep the shed cooler. Another thing you could do would be to use scissor trusts that would also give you some more ceiling height.

SWMBO and I are building it, with a thing for her. Will have a roof that looks like \
Lefthand side of \ will be wall, so I'll have 9' or so in the front, and probably 10+ feet in the back.
Going to insulate the poop out of it, and have a regulator on the window A/C unit to kick on when the temp hits 78 F, just to keep things pretty cool

If you have a grain mill in there, you might want to have some kinda of vacuum dust collection system. The dust floating in the air where you're brewing can make things VERY prone to contamination.

I'm usually pretty skeptical about most contamination cases, but that's one that can certainly make the risk a lot higher.

-D

Llarian said:
If you have a grain mill in there, you might want to have some kinda of vacuum dust collection system. The dust floating in the air where you're brewing can make things VERY prone to contamination.

I'm usually pretty skeptical about most contamination cases, but that's one that can certainly make the risk a lot higher.

-D

Your right that's why I roll my mill out onto the porch when I get my grain ready. Plus if you are going to try to keep it cool when you brew you will need to set up a really good ventilation system to pull the heat out.

Brewiz said:
Your right that's why I roll my mill out onto the porch when I get my grain ready. Plus if you are going to try to keep it cool when you brew you will need to set up a really good ventilation system to pull the heat out.

I never mill my grain around where I'm brewing. I think that's a good thing - read that the dust can be a source of contamination.

Since I'm 15' x 9' inside dimensions, just pull it outside to do.

I do that now, and use a cordless leaf blower to clean the dust off of it.

runhard said:

In other words, you get 1/4 and she gets 3/4 :)

I remember someone on here had it setup where his grains were stored in air ducts he constructed, so all he had to do was open a chute and the grain fell into a bucket or mill. I always thought that was a good idea.

my 2c

Back