Long sparging process

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i4ourgot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Once my mash is done I feel like it takes for ever (1 hour and 25 min) to sparge and get 6 gallons. I use braided hose over copper pipe. If I crank my valve all the way open I get a stuck sparge so I end up letting it "drible" out. Any suggestions.

Once my mash is done I feel like it takes for ever (1 hour and 25 min) to sparge and get 6 gallons. I use braided hose over copper pipe. If I crank my valve all the way open I get a stuck sparge so I end up letting it "drible" out. Any suggestions.

That's way too long for sure. I'd get rid of the braided hose, I guess. With a pipe type of manifold, fly sparging isn't very efficient so I'd assume you're trying to batch sparge. That takes just a couple of minutes, normally.

If you're getting good beer, decent efficency, and don't mind the time, then you are fine. But I'd probably get a different manifold set up.

An hour is relatively normal if you are fly sparging, but batch sparging should be quicker. Did you add any rice hulls to the recipe? They should help out with this. Also make sure you get the grain bed nice and set when taking the first runnings, I usually take out 4-5 liters before going to the kettle.

Well I never really open my valve past 3/4, and I usually open it maybe half way max when I vorlauf, and I do about 16 cups at that speed. Then a good grain bed builds for me when I empty into my kettle and I open it fairly wide. So if I could give you advice I would say slowly crack that valve for vorlauf to build a good grain bed, then once you are clear, you can bump the valve open more. Good luck hope this helps!

O ya, I use a braided ss hose as well!

Back