Closed system racking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Clamper

Reaction score
Has anyone tried racking from the fermenter to the keg using the beverage port? I'm now trying to do that to "reduce the risk or infection" but I'm noticing that it is damned slow! Anyone have better luck?

I use buckets with a spigot. I purge my kegs with CO2 before racking. I use a piece of foil to cover the opening as they fill. Works great. No oxidation.

Yea, just the lid. I purge with C02 and then keep the lid cockeyed.
I also just use the gas to start the prime and then let air into the carboy.

If you're using the bevport, you need to vent gas out the purge valve.
If you don't let air or CO2 into the carboy it'll get real slow.

Pressure works against you then.

olllllo said:
If you're using the bevport, you need to vent gas out the purge valve. If you don't let air or CO2 into the carboy it'll get real slow.

Yeah, this is what I've been doing: I purge the kegs with co2 then hook up the line from the bucket spigot to the bevport. Then I hook up a gas port with no line, this lets the air out as it fills up. I found out why it was running so slow, there was a wee bit of yeast cake that floated and clogged the line. The second keg I racked went much faster since it had been in secondary for 3 weeks.

Back