odd hop schedule for an ipa?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkm11b

Reaction score
hello, just getting back from the LHBS, and they guy there gave me an ingredient list for an ipa. it includes your standard 8.25lbs of lme, steeping grains, whirlfloc, priming sugar, etc. the hops are all simcoe, and the schedule is this
FWH-1 1/4oz
Flame out-3 3/4oz.....and thats it.
beer calculus says its at 54 ibus.
has anyone ever tried a hop schedule like this? did it come out well? any thoughts, comments, or suggestions are welcome.

I am a huge fan of first wort hopping, it will give a nice, mellow bitterness and still retain some aroma and the big flame out addition will give you huge flavor and aroma without the need to dry hop. I'd say it will be a great IPA!:tank:

That's a fun looking recipe, and I would like to taste the resulting beer, but that sure isn't how I would personally use 5 oz simcoe in an IPA. Good luck, post results!

Has the guy at the store ever brewed with that schedule?

I would be sorely tempted to reserve at least 2oz for dry hop.

There are really little to no rules as far as hop schedules go for IPAs. You have to find out what works for you. I personally think FWH additions are good for nothing in American IPAs, so I go with a smaller bittering addition. That way, I save the rest of the hops for later and achieve smooth bitterness & high hop flavor/aroma at the same time. But I wouldn't be opposed to no hop additions from 59-1 minutes. A hefty flameout addition will also lend some IBUs that are not calculated by brewing software. With that said, I tend to do a very small bittering addition, another small charge around 30 minutes, and a ton of late additions and dryhops.

yes sometimes crazy is good, im just wondering how good,lol. it seems like a lot of simcoe, if you need a bittering hop, there is a lot of them out there, and it seems like simcoe is getting kinda hard to get. i dont think the guy has brewed this recipe, but then again, it sounds tempting, ill keep everyone posted on the process, but i think im gonna try it out.

I admit it does look supremely crazy to me. IPA is one of my favorite styles. But something in my gut tells me this will probably work out real well. If I wasn't booked up on my next 3 brew days, I'd do this on saturday. Regardless, it's on my list to get to soon. Post results!

i agree that having a hop schedule like this isnt what im used to seeing (or drinking...i think..) but who knows, ill keep everyone posted, tomorrow is brew day for me.

Enough people have reassured you already, but I am gonna say one more thing. I just brewed up and American Pale Ale a couple months ago with no hops at all in the boil, 2 1/2 oz at flameout/whirlpool, and 1 3/4 in the dry hop. It has insane hop flavor with no bitterness(as you could guess), but it is so delicious.

well when i pitched my yeast the wort was still way too hot. my buddies wife came home from work early, and i didnt want 5.5 gallons of hot wort sitting on her kitchen counter. so after a day or so of no activity, i purchased another packet of us05, and pitched it into the carboy, the temp was about 68 degrees, kept it in the swamp cooler, and maintained a temp of 68 degrees. weeeeeellllllll let me tell you about the fermentation, it went off like a bat outta hell, and proceeded to clog up the airlock, so i put a blow off tube, i think i didnt kill the first batch of yeast, but just kinda shocked it, so when its buddies came to party, it was a blast.

sg-1.058
fg-1.014
i tasted it, and it tastes really good, you know, for being warm and flat,lol. ill keep you guys posted

well heres the update that i promised. i dry hopped with 2 ounces of simcoe hops. the first ounce was in the carboy for 4 days, the second was in there for 7 days. 314.jpg the taste is incredibly smooth...like light beer smooth. the hop flavor and aroma is intense. simcoe hops have a great piney, citrusy, and almost tropical fruit taste. great head retention, and nice body to the beer. i will be brewing this beer again...as soon as i can find 7 oz of simcoe for less then an arm and a leg.

Back