Home Brew Dispensing Mobile Command Center Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
those lights are so perfect. Now I have to add yet another thing to my list of things I wantt o make.. Great work!

Nice build.

Sometimes I am not so handy - instead of building a frame with wheels, I would have cheated by strapping it to a handcart from Harbor Freight.

You can now find spray paints specifically for plastics in most hardware stores; Rustoleum has a good line. I was successful with regular Rustoleum on polycarbonate. I roughed it with 220 grit then blasted it with rattle-can primer, a color coat, and a clear gloss topcoat. The clear topcoat really made a difference. Plan on touching it up when, not if, you scratch it with BBQ tools and such. Or leave it white PVC - no biggie.

I would rather have good home brew from a PVC tap than AB Inbev from a gold spigot.

Did you get those lights at Costco? The ones I bought a while ago had a different remote, but I do agree, they are cool lights.

I got it off Amazon. If anyone is interested here are all of the components you'll need to get these things running of battery power. They come rigged for A/C but they run off of 12 V. I figured the scooter battery will run them for about 4-5 hours.

LED's - $23.95 free shipping

DC Plug - $4.14 free shipping

Cigarette lighter adapter

For the Battery Just google shop 12V battery and get the highest amps at the lowest price you can find
Battery (higher amps the longer it will run)

Last edited by a moderator:
Need to animate the lights to a soundtrack of "drinking" songs like: "Have a Drink On Me", and "One Bourbon, One Scotch, and One Beer", etc.

You could be the next you tube sensation with the right light show!

TD

I got it off Amazon. If anyone is interested here are all of the components you'll need to get these things running of battery power. They come rigged for A/C but they run off of 12 V. I figured the scooter battery will run them for about 4-5 hours.

LED's - $23.95 free shipping

DC Plug - $4.14 free shipping

Cigarette lighter adapter

For the Battery Just google shop 12V battery and get the highest amps at the lowest price you can find
Battery (higher amps the longer it will run)

A 12V battery like that would probably run those lights for a few weeks! LED's are VERY low draw. Only bummer is you have to keep charging the battery up, plus it's just one more thing to have to lug around. Personally I'd see about rigging up an 8-cell battery holder - something that can hold 8 AA batteries. They'd still power the lights for several hours (8 x 1.5 = 12V) and you could hide it under the lid or something.

Just my thought.

A 12V battery like that would probably run those lights for a few weeks! LED's are VERY low draw. Only bummer is you have to keep charging the battery up, plus it's just one more thing to have to lug around. Personally I'd see about rigging up an 8-cell battery holder - something that can hold 8 AA batteries. They'd still power the lights for several hours (8 x 1.5 = 12V) and you could hide it under the lid or something.

Just my thought.

The actually say they draw 4 amps. I thought that was high since they are LED however i guess it can be accounted for since there are hundreds of them on the strip. Way more than needed to illuminate the barrel. The battery is still pretty small and will fit inside under the cover, and I love that i can just recharge it using any 12 v car battery recharger.
My scooter battery is 16 AH. My understanding is that this represents 16 amp/hour. Therefore it can sustain something drawing 4 amps for 4 hours. ( 16ah / 4amp draw )= 4 hours. One AA produces less than an amp each so I think 8 of them might run the thing for like 5 hours is my guess. So it probably a matter of how often you would use thing to determine if regular battries versus a bigger battery is more cost effecient and convenient.

I build cooler stereo/radios. I use similar led strips for the builds. Slightly more expensive, but WAAAY lighter and come with charger and each battery has a switch built in. These run LEDs, speaker amp, and speakers for over 10 hours (the 6.8 Ah) on the river. Oh and they're lithium so better obviously.

Awesome build but toss an extra $10-30 and you'll have a better battery.

12v Li-ion

You should be able to adapt this (or something similar) to work with your rope lights...

That would be awesome. I have this in my basement at my bar. Its awesome and great effect*that*everyone loves.

Great project. I'm now thinking of putting a higher priority on an outdoor 'solution' this summer. I just didn't appreciate how important that was. Thanks for the education. The lovingly custom-made portable homebrew keg station sitting next to a torn open 18 pk of busch light is somewhat hilarious.

Latest posts

Back