Keg Cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaTruf

Reaction score
Dumb question about to be asked. What is the proper way to clean a 5 gal keg. I watched a video and this guy got his whole arm in there. That won't work here.

I can get my arm in far enough to reach halfway. For the bottom I bought a good toilet brush (and everyone in the house knows it's ONLY for kegs).

Atonk said:
I can get my arm in far enough to reach halfway. For the bottom I bought a good toilet brush (and everyone in the house knows it's ONLY for kegs).

Same here! Toilet brush. Keep it with your brewing stuff so it don't get accidentally used as a TOILET BRUSH! I stored mine under the kitchen sink for the longest time until I had to ask if my SWMBO has ever used it:-/ she said no, so I now store it with my brewing items just so nothing gets mixed up:)

Wow... I have yet to see keg soil that a good, hot cleaning soak and agitation wouldn't take care of.

wailingguitar said:
Wow... I have yet to see keg soil that a good, hot cleaning soak and agitation wouldn't take care of.

I was thinking more about the first cleaning after buying one to refurbish. I soaked one in pbw overnight, then hit it with a stainless scrubby. The difference was night and day. Some of them are pretty gunky.

It depends on how dirty it is. I have a keg brush and I also use a scrubber thing or a sponge. I always unscrew my posts and soak them good, use a dip tube brush, and re-lubricate all of the gaskets with a little Vaseline.

I have a keg that I've never taken a part. The posts are not designed for a common wrench. They sort of look like a gear. I know I can use an okie socket wrench to remove it.. but, anyone else have a post that looks like mine... ? What do you use???

HbgBill said:
I have a keg that I've never taken a part. The posts are not designed for a common wrench. They sort of look like a gear. I know I can use an okie socket wrench to remove it.. but, anyone else have a post that looks like mine... ? What do you use???

You need a 22mm 12 pointed socket or wrench

ForumRunner_20120212_123240.jpg

I got the cheapest set I could find at harbor freight. Had to get a set because they were out of deep sockets that size.

22mm is just a little loose. 7/8" is just a bit looser, but everything else is too small.

I take the keg apart and soak all the small parts in small container of hot pbw solution. While they are soaking I fill up the keg half way with hot pbw solution and let it soak for 30 minutes. Then I take a 5 gallon bucket and put it over the top of the keg. Then I QUICKLY flip everything upside down to let the other half of the keg soak for 30 minutes (pulling the keg up slightly to let some of the pbw solution out into the bucket).

Then all it needs is a good rinse with cold water and a swirl of Star-San inside. Then I rinse all the small parts, soak them in Star-San and rebuild the keg with keg lube on all the o-rings. I have a liquid out QD on a CO2 regulator so that I can close up the keg and purge all the air out of the relief valve from the liquid out diptube up. They are now ready to go for the next batch.

I use PBW, I know it cost more. But less chance of me messing up a batch of beer,

I put the small parts in PBW too, I dismantle all of them and soak them.

Stuff it awesome, overnight soaking will do wonders. u can wipe using a paper towel (wet with PBW cleaner) afterwards to be on the safe side.

I do use a brush for the tubing.

I use sanstar to sanitize before brewing.

Back