Building a RIG From Scratch...looking for input.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellinmi88

Reaction score
I am building an electric rig from scratch. I am only planning on incorporating a few components typically found in a RIMs or HERMs setup. I am looking for input on the wiring side as I have very little experience with this. I plan on consulting an electrician but would appreciate feedback from you folks before approaching one.

Here is a summary of what I would like to do:

I have just ordered one (1) Keggle that will include TIG welded sight glass and thermometer as well as a 3 piece ball valve. I would like to convert this to an electric keggle using the following element:Camco Mfg 5500W 240V Ripp Element. I will be using the Auber SYL 2352 PID Controller with RTD Temperature Probes along with an Auber SSR. I will also be incorporating two March H315HF Brew Pumps. One pump will supply my Counter Flow Chiller and the other will be for another vessel on the Rig. I'll get back to the in a moment.

The overall size of the Rig is 62" x 32". I would like to have one main power plug to supply the rig with all it's electrical needs. Which is to say it will need to power the Element, Two March H315HF pumps the PID, Probes and some LEDs. Once the Rig is plugged in I would like a main power switch (with LED) or kill switch incorporated. Then from there have the ability to power the element and each pump individually via their own switch (with LED).

I am not sure how to draw this up beyond what I have been able to piece together below. Below is the culmination of reading all the various posts on here and trying to customize it to my needs. Keep in mind this pump will not be providing a RIMs or HERMs type function. They simply will be moving wort from the keggle through the chiller into another vessel. Here is my diagram:

brew_schematic.gif

As you can probably tell from this, I am not an electrician. So I am hoping you all can help. The bottom line is I need to know how to wire a main power supply with a kill switch, along with power an element with switch (and LED), PID, RTD Probe, and two March Pumps.

Also if anyone wants to recommend a controller box that would be awesome too!

I await your feedback once you all stop laughing!

Thanks,
Mike

6 and 7 on your auber won't put out power so you will need to use that relay to switch a power supply that matches your SSR. 110v to the power supply input, one leg of the output goes to 6 the other goes to the SSR, then run a line from 7 to the SSR.

You have "neutral" and "hot" with a 240v element in there. You need to have your 110v and your 240v lines on separate circuits. I have no idea what you are doing with your ground....

Hmmmm yeah I have no idea about the ground either....that was the result of me trying to figure out other diagrams. Okay so two separate circuits for 110/240 and match the SSR to switch a main power supply output to 6 and the SSR then from 7 to the SSR.

Here is my schematic, I drew this before I bought the SSRs and forgot to add the power supplies for them. Plus what isn't shown is I have both legs of the 240V power being switched.

SchematicsRev2.jpg

Amazing...looking at your diagram clears up a lot. Thank you for sharing. I will update mine and repost here...I appreciate your fast feedback.

So as long as your timer is on power to the heating element is supplied...is that how you are incorporating the timer?

So as long as your timer is on power to the heating element is supplied...is that how you are incorporating the timer?

When the timer turns on it activates the relays to apply power the the heating elements, pumps and stir motor if those switches are set to "auto"

I made the changes you suggested, have a look at my original post, the image is updated with the new changes....

Back