AHS Fat Tire Clone question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schmaltzy

Reaction score
Question for someone who has brewed the Fat Tire clone from AHS.

I brewed last Wednesday so it's been in the primary for 6 days. I plan on leaving it in there for at least another 4-7 days. I have not taken a SG reading since I don't planning on moving it yet. I'm just gonna give it some time. My question; is moving it to the secondary is necessary with this beer?

I know there is a question every day from people that ask advantages/disadvantages about using secondary fermenter. That is not my question. IMHO, most beers don't need a secondary unless you want to try and clear them up a little.

So, just curious what people who have brewed this beer have done. I really want this one to turn out good so I'm trying to do everything right!

I made it a number of years ago. I don't remember if I used a secondary or not, though. I can't imagine why I would have, but that may have back in the days when I put everything in secondary.

Question for someone who has brewed the Fat Tire clone from AHS.

I brewed last Wednesday so it's been in the primary for 6 days. I plan on leaving it in there for at least another 4-7 days. I have not taken a SG reading since I don't planning on moving it yet. I'm just gonna give it some time. My question; is moving it to the secondary is necessary with this beer?

I know there is a question every day from people that ask advantages/disadvantages about using secondary fermenter. That is not my question. IMHO, most beers don't need a secondary unless you want to try and clear them up a little.

So, just curious what people who have brewed this beer have done. I really want this one to turn out good so I'm trying to do everything right!

I just brewed this 3 weeks ago, only in the primary and it was a decent hit at the Superbowl. No need to secondary this.

I just brewed this 3 weeks ago, only in the primary and it was a decent hit at the Superbowl. No need to secondary this.

Only 3 weeks ago and you're already into it? What did you do? 1 week primary, 2 weeks in the bottle?

I made it last summer. It's an excellent beer, and I only used a primary.

I always move it to a secondary - just my MOA.

BTW - great beer but I add more biscuit to it now. It's a great beer to start tweaking!

Still one of the favs for my buddies that are not in to the dark styles!!

Superbowl? I hope it's all gone as you have some bottle bombs getting ready!

Only 3 weeks ago and you're already into it? What did you do? 1 week primary, 2 weeks in the bottle?

I guess my post got deleted??

Anyway, I keg, so I primaried it for 2.75 weeks and then force carbed it for 3 days at 40 PSI. It was kind of green, but still did the job.

I too am in the middle of making this beer. I went the Partial Mash route and plan on going 4 weeks in Primary and then bottling for 3. Unfortunately, I am only on week 3 in Primary.....so I got my blue moon clone to tide me over for now. I need kegging equipment ASAP!

Have Fun :tank:

I brewed this one and let sit for 2 weeks in the primary and 1 in the secondary. It definitely helped clear it up and this was necessary for me to do because my house was so hot during fermentation that I think it was killing off the yeast.

Getting off the sediment was a must in my case but it turned out just fine.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out

I brewed this at the end of December and did do a secondary at week three just so I could get my second batch into the bucket, but it is not required. I would say drinking it in 3 weeks is way to green for me. It just started hitting it's stride this past week for me, so I would give it a good 4-5 weeks before bottling/kegging.

I brewed this a while back, no secondary. I added more biscuit, personal preference. It's been kegged for several weeks now. It's just OK, not close to Fat Tire but still a decent beer.

Back