Two Brothers Oatmeal Cream Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnybrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
London Ale III (Wyeast Labs #1318)
Yeast Starter
2 Liter
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
33.8 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
32 days at 68F
Tasting Notes
Smokey & malty nose; Roasted coffee, smokey malt, bread/biscuit notes. Smooth finish.
Estimated Original Gravity: 1.051 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.053 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.016 SG
Estimated Color: 33.8 SRM
Bitterness: 23.7 IBU
Alpha Acid Units: 12.0 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 4.89 %
Actual Alcohol by Volume: 4.82 %
Actual Calories: 238 cal/pint

Amount Item Type % or IBU
12.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 69.44 %
2.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 11.11 %
1.25 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 6.94 %
1.25 lb Roasted Barley (450.0 SRM) Grain 6.94 %
0.50 lb Barley, Flaked (Thomas Fawcett) (2.0 SRM) Grain 2.78 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 2.78 %
3.00 oz Fuggles [4.00 %] (90 min) Hops 23.7 IBU
2.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
2 Pkgs London Ale III (Wyeast Labs #1318)

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 22.50 qt of water at 166.8 F 152.0 F 90 min
Mash Out Add 12.60 qt of water at 202.4 F 168.0 F 10 min
Boil time = 90 mins

Ferment at 68F. I let this sit in the primary for 32 days. I bet it could have come out sooner, but I was in no rush on this one and wanted it to clean up.

Cold crashed for two days at 45F.

Kegged and carbed with 2.1 vols of CO2.

The fun story behind this brew is that I brewed it in CT with my brother over the Christmas holiday and then hauled 5 gals back to Cincinnati in the car with the wife, two kids and dog! I joked about the carboy getting shotgun because the yeast needed the heated seat... but, she wasn't buying.

My bro and I talk, text, email and dream about brewing together and this was the first batch we brewed as a team. The day was frickin cold [Mr. Bigglesworth] at about 23F, but we still had a great time, brewing, eating pulled pork sandwiches, drinking his latest Black IPA, popping open a bottle of DFH Bitches Brew and talking all day long. He just opened a new LHBS and a few of his avid customers swung by to share in the fun and homebrew. A great day that I hope we can duplicate again soon.

The beer: we wanted to create an oatmeal stout that was true to the style, easy drinking and smooth on the finish. We agree it's a great stout that we plan to brew again. The only thing it might be missing is being pushed by NO2. I dream of the day....

Anyway, this is my first recipe post because I think it is worth sharing. Cheers!

2388-tbstout.jpg

My brothers and I have been talking, texting a lot more the last few weeks about brewing together. I just got done bottling a 6th batch. but, that's cool. That whole day just sounded cool. Glad the beer turned out great. I'm looking for something creamy stout. Very creamy. So checking recipes here and there.

Back