Chinook Pale Ale Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JakeTheHopDog

Reaction score
Being 90* plus in the shade for the next 6 months here in Florida, I want to make something light and drinkable, like a Pale Ale. EdWorts Haus Pale Ale looks like a good fit. I have a supply of Chinook hops that I’d like to use, so I was wondering if substituting the Cascade hops for Chinooks would work, as I have no idea what an only Chinook Pale Ale would taste like. Ran it through BeerSmith, reducing the hop additions to lower the IBU’s a bit.

8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
2.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
0.75 oz Chinook [11.50 %] (60 min)
0.25 oz Chinook [11.50 %] (30 min)
0.25 oz Chinook [11.50 %] (15 min)
0.25 oz Chinook [11.50 %] (5 min)
1 Pkg SafAle American Ale US-05

Est Original Gravity: 1.048 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.47%
Bitterness: 31.3 IBU
Est Color: 4.6 SRM

What do you think? Any advice would be appreciated.

You know, I love chinook but many people find it harsh or "catty".

The only all-chinook beer I can think of commercially is Arrogant Bastard.

I'd do your recipe, and I would like it. In fact, you've got my wheels turning here.... and I think I might make something very similar.

However, if you're looking for something light and drinkable, you may want to add in some different hops in the late additions. Something like a little cascade or amarillo for a portion of the 15 and 5 minute additions.

Thanks, Yooper. I like Arrogant Bastard, but only in small doses, so an “All Chinook” ale probably wouldn’t be to my liking for an “All Day by the Pool” beer. I think I’ll put Cascades in the 15 min and Amarillo’s at the 5 min, like you suggest, and see how it turns out.

I brewed a batch of this Orange Cascades Pale Ale yesterday. I thought it would be the perfect summer brew.

I typically don't care for fruit in my beer. However, I made a wit this winter with orange peel and that was a super nice quencher.

I'd also suggest skipping the chinnook. Heavey piney flavor and aroma that, although great for hopheads, isn't a great session brew for summer lounging by the pool. IMHO, of course.

Hmmm, I need to rethink this whole thing. That Orange Cascades Pale Ale looks pretty tasty, and may just do the trick. The orange zest and coriander sound like a nice combo. Thanks, Passerdawn, for the advice. Redoing my order with Austin Homebrew right now.

Hmmm, I need to rethink this whole thing. That Orange Cascades Pale Ale looks pretty tasty, and may just do the trick. The orange zest and coriander sound like a nice combo. Thanks, Passerdawn, for the advice. Redoing my order with Austin Homebrew right now.

You can get coriander at any of the many "whole foods" stores. They do carry some nice coriander. I've compared the taste to the stuff sold at southern and it's better from the whole foods place. What you want is a citrusy tasting seed, not a peppery seed.

For oranges, I just pluck then off my neighbors tree. FYI, 1 orange gives almost exactly 1 oz. of zest.

I wish I made it over to Southern Brewing for Big Brew Day. I did brew but I have a 240V electric system that isn't very portable. Anyway, saw the nice set of pics in your gallery. Maybe next time.

Thanks, I was planning on getting the coriander and orange peel from AHB, but I have a nice market up here in Spring Hill that I’ll take a look at. Fresh orange zest would probably be better anyways. I've never added anything to a batch yet. Are the mesurments by weight or by volume?

Yes, Brew Day was a good time had by all. Jeremy (SilverKing) was talking about doing another one in the fall, after it cools down a bit.

I just got done drinking an all chinook pale that I made. It was really good. I didn't do any hop additions until 35 min left in boil though to avoid that harshness you can sometimes get from chinook.

Back