A botched recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flint

Reaction score
It was suggested that I post this as a separate thread so:

Here's a question that I was curious about. Is it necessary to use dry malt base if you're already using a liquid malt extract? I used three pounds of light liquid extract and am expecting about 4 gallons of beer. The recipe was:

3.3 Lbs Malt Extract
3.5 g water
3 oz Saaz
1 oz yeast

Am I going to be disappointed?

Dry malt extract and liquid malt extract can be combined in the same recipe. DME ( dry malt) is more concentrated.It is unclear to me in what you mean by "dissapointed". When I ran the recipe through Promash it indicated an OG of 1.038. It seems low for most brews so it you are seeking alcohol content you may be dissapointed.

Also seems like WAY too much on the hops for that little extract. Have you brewed any kits or recipes you didn't create before?

Yeah, if you add all of those hops at the beginning of the boil, you're looking at 71 IBUs, with an OG of only about 1.034. That's WAY out of balance. Even if you split them and do an ounce at 60 minutes, 30 minutes, and 15, you're still north of 50 IBUs.

What kind of beer are you shooting for?

Ja, this is my first brewing and I followed as the recipe said so I'm hoping it isn't too bad. I'm thinking that maybe I should start another batch soon for Christmas. It's tradition that our family shares our brew and I wouldn't want to disapoint my father with an unsavory beer, especially since he always makes such good beer.

I think you could double your recipe like this:

3.3 lbs extract
3.5 gallons water
NO hops

Pitch on the yeast cake as soon as you rack the currently fermenting beer. Combine the results with your current batch into one reasonably balanced brew.

Back