Wyeast packet isn't swelling up...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nkacree

Reaction score
I have a Wyeast packet that I popped yesterday at noon and it still hasn't swollen up. I called the local brewstore and they said to shake it and if it sounds like its fizzing up inside then its still good. Said it was just slow...

Should I pitch it and hope for the best?

Thanks for your input!

-Nick

24 hours at room temp? Either the inner packet didn't pop, or it's bad I think.

What's the date on it? and are you sure you popped the inner packet? You should be able to feel around and find it if it's not popped.

Should be fine, esp. if the date is good.

Sometimes I have trouble getting the nutrient pack to burst, you might wanna try re-smacking. Or you could just grab a growler or some vessel to make a small starter up if you have some DME on hand (even better).

Well, if your starter doesn't start in three to four days, it may be dead (maybe it got too hot, froze, really old...). Since you made a starter, you wont pitch dead yeast into your wort, and you'll know you need to get some new yeast. It's always a good Idea to have some dry yeast around just in case.

I used one for the first time last week, until then I had only used dry packets. It was a 3787 about a year old. My LHBS owner suggested to give it a week to swell. I smacked it on a Saturday and it did almost nothing until Wednesday. By Thursday it was swollen very tight and I pitched it into a starter. Maybe it needs more time?

Will it hurt anything if I try it and it doesn't take off?

Make a starter as suggested above.

And also, a hint....I keep a small variety of dry yeast available in my refrigerator in case I have yeast issues on brew day.

It has saved me more than once.

I once smacked too hard and broke the outer package. This led to an unswollen pack since the co2 was escaping. But the yeast was still fine.

+1 to the starter. Also, I've had a couple packets that were less than 4 months old that never swelled. One was a Belgian Abbey II and ended up being one of the most violent starters and fermentation I ever had. The other was a Kolsch. Although with the Kolsch I didn't make a starter, it none the less fermented fine.

As long as you make a starter you will be fine. I had my first package that did not swell (Thames) a few weeks back and it took off just fine on the stir plate. Montanaandy

Back