Recipe substitutes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chombo

Reaction score
Hi, this beer looks really good, i was concidering making it for my next brew however i have a load of extra pale malt extract... would i be able to substitute 4lbs of Pale LME for the Grain in this recipe?

Also would using yeast US-04 be an acceptable substitute?
Also is Pale Wheat Malt the same as White Wheat Malt?

Thanks!

RECIPE:

Mash Schedule
1. Mashed in with 4 gallons at 154F, mash for 60 minutes
2. Add 4 quarts of 175F for mashout
3. Vorlauf and drain
4. Add 3.5 gallons of 175F for sparge; stir and let sit for 10 minutes.
5. Vorlauf and drain.

Ingredients
1.00 lb Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 9.09 %
6.00 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 54.55 %
4.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 36.36 %
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 8.9 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 4.4 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 3.5 IBU
0.25 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
0.25 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Wheat Ale (Wyeast Labs #1010) Yeast-Ale

4 lbs of LME would give a five gallon batch a gravity of 1.029. S-04 is more estery than American Wheat yeast. 8 lbs. Wheat LME and US-05 would be good substitutes.

Wheat is usually white or red. It makes little difference. There is dark wheat malt too. You can't use any of them with out mashing them (steeping at 148-160ish.)

Are you trying to make this as an extract recipe, or are just trying to reduce the size of the mash? If you want to stick with a dry yeast, Safbrew WB06 is the way to go.

4 lbs of LME would give a five gallon batch a gravity of 1.029. S-04 is more estery than American Wheat yeast. 8 lbs. Wheat LME and US-05 would be good substitutes.

Wheat is usually white or red. It makes little difference. There is dark wheat malt too. You can't use any of them with out mashing them (steeping at 148-160ish.)

i dont think i can get wheat extract, but i can get wheat grain... so i can use 8 lbs of that and just steep it, with out the pale extract or grain?

Are you trying to make this as an extract recipe, or are just trying to reduce the size of the mash? If you want to stick with a dry yeast, Safbrew WB06 is the way to go.

not entirely extract but still a 5 gallon brew,

i would like to keep the recipe the same minus the pale extract substitution, and yeast (only because they arent available to me locally). i have a ton of left over pale LME so i would like to use that. i also have no way of getting wheat extract locally but can get the grain, which is good and what the recipe asks for.

i also dont have the yeast the recipe asks for, but i can just pick that up with the wheat grain. but would prefer not to buy extra pale grain just because i have so much left. so is there anyway to substitute the pale grain for the extract?

bump.
so i know what yeast to use, but im still unsure what quantities to use for the pale LME instead if the grain

Back