Caldera IPA - Craft Beer in a Can???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alcibiades

Reaction score
What do you guys think of Caldera IPA? I absolutely love the hop profile, the simcoe comes through with a surprising fruitiness.

But about the can, the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of craft beer in a can. The idea that cans give a metalic flavor is a myth. It gets colder faster, and stays colder longer. It wont break during transit like glass. Why aren't more craft brewers using cans?

Beer also warms faster in a can, but that's just nitpicking. Another benefit of cans is the fact that beer absolutely cannot get lightstruck inside a can. I can't be sure, but I think that cost is the reason that more small breweries don't can their beer. The equipment is very expensive and complex.

Check out Oskar Blues - their entire lineup is canned.

That is my favorite IPA by far, craft beer in a can is a great idea. The brewery I'm working at is thinking of doing aluminum bombers, if we actually do I think that may be the new up and comer.

Yuri, the problem isn't the cost of the canning equipment, Cask builds a nice compact cannery that is no more expensive than a similar sized bottling unit. The problem is getting cans printed. Unlike bottles, in most states you cannot use glue-on labels with cans. You have to order huge quantities (by most craft brewers standards), then store them. 21st Amendment was one of the first to start using cans and their first buy lasted them a couple years.

The problem is Caldera is that they make a descent IPA but it costs $14 a 6 pack here. There are far too many other IPA's that are better and cheaper. If I see it on tap somewhere I might grab one from time to time but I wont be bringing any of it home with me at that price. I will take my Bells 2 hearted at $10 a 6 pack over this every day.

mmm... IPA at the lake

20571_WW_IPAfront_002_R1.jpg

A buddy from Boise brought me Caldera's IPA, Pale Ale and Amber last weekend (he also brought me some bottles from Widmer, Laughing Dog, and Deschutes Samplers. While I have not tried them all, I gotta say after I tried the Caldera IPA, the other two Caldera Brews disappeared really quickly. They are top notch. Although Deschutes Mirror Pond was pretty damn good too. I don't know whether to feel that I got the better end of the trade or not. I sent him home with some Schlafly (Kolsch, APA, Summer Lager), Two Bros (Domaine DuPage), a 6er of 2Hearted, Paulaner Salvator and a couple of Tucher (Dunkel, and Hefe) brews that he cannot get in Boise.

Back