Pesticides??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12hunt

Reaction score
Hello to all, new to the forum! Also fairly new to hop growing in my second year. We have a ton beetles and other insects which devistated my plants last year. I was wondering if Sevin is a safe pesticide to use on the plants? I know no pesticide is truly safe but not sure what else to do. Thanks for any help.

Try Tobacco juice, i have found it works really good. It doesnt seem to kill everthing in the garden but really helps control them to the point of it not being a problem. I will also do the Beer trap to get the slugs/snails, which was just talked about in the Slug thread.

How to make tobacco juice.

Try Tobacco juice, i have found it works really good. It doesnt seem to kill everthing in the garden but really helps control them to the point of it not being a problem. I will also do the Beer trap to get the slugs/snails, which was just talked about in the Slug thread.

How to make tobacco juice.

Now that is cool. I have a issue with something eating mine now and I think i'll give it a try.

IF you can find Chewing tobacco(un-flavored) or cigars, they have less chemicals used to make them, and make a better Juice to me.

Hello to all, new to the forum! Also fairly new to hop growing in my second year. We have a ton beetles and other insects which devistated my plants last year. I was wondering if Sevin is a safe pesticide to use on the plants? I know no pesticide is truly safe but not sure what else to do. Thanks for any help.

Sevin Kills everything including Honey Bees. Not Good and not labeled for Hops in the commercial end. Google: Provado

If you want good suggestions you need to do a little more research and ask about controlling specific insects. With plenty of companion plantings in my garden, I don't end up using any pesticides on my hops and only nuke the Japanese beetles in the ground (same with slugs, but I use sluggo). I try to limit topical application to as small an area as possible, and this is true on everything from hops to broccoli to peaches.

If you want good suggestions you need to do a little more research and ask about controlling specific insects. With plenty of companion plantings in my garden, I don't end up using any pesticides on my hops and only nuke the Japanese beetles in the ground (same with slugs, but I use sluggo). I try to limit topical application to as small an area as possible, and this is true on everything from hops to broccoli to peaches.

First of all thank you to everyone for the suggestions!!! Kinda like the tabacco idea will research this!

Randar I have checked into the companion plants just seemed a little overwhelming. My problem that I run into with the yard apps is that I would need to cover more than an acre ( i think) of yard still leaving 2 acres uncovered think I would be spinning my wheels. Not sure though maybe only covering one portion would be sufficient???

Bayer and Scotts Grubex both have 10,000 sq foot bags of the stuff. It might not be the cheapest alternative for a larger scale area like yours, but it makes a marked difference, IMO. I have noticed a huge decrease in local infestation as I have applied it myself and educated my neighbors to do the same.

Latest posts

Back