Alternative to US-05?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graeme

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm brewing a Dogfish Head 60min IPA clone. I have exclusively used safale Us-05 in the past for all my IPA's. They turned out very good but was considering using a different yeast for this upcoming brew. Anybody any suggestions?

Nottingham

WLP001

Those are both clean, obvious price difference

I've used Pacific ale yeast, nottingham, S05, WLP001, Wyest 1056, and northwest ale yeast. At least those are the ones off of the top of my head. All were fine. The Northwest ale yeast is supposed to be fruitier than the others, but the beer is fruity tasting anyway from the amarillo hops, so I didn't pick up anything from the yeast. Any clean well-attenuating ale yeast will do.

I have used WLP051 California Ale V for the variation I did of the Dogfish Head 90 minute and it came out extremely well twice.

I like the S-04. I do prefer US-05, but can appreciate the difference when using 04. Almost like its a little sweeter. I vote try S-04.

Thanks for your help guys. Unfortunately some of the yeasts you guy's have available to you aren't available here for me in Ireland through homebrew supply stores, I may try the US-04, I've used it in two stouts so far and they turned out really well

I have used WLP051 California Ale V for the variation I did of the Dogfish Head 90 minute and it came out extremely well twice.

Cali V is awesome for any beer where you want some fruit esters. One of my favorites, for sure.

S-04 is better suited for English beers, and I am not sure I'd want to use it for an IPA. Of course, I like my IPAs fairly neutral and very dry, so there's that.

BYO's clone recipe (and a bunch others I've seen online) spec Wyeast 1099 for 90 min.

What ever you choose, I don't think you really want to roll with the US05/Notty/1056/WLP001 family since they all attenuate pretty well and that doesn't really match up with your target beer.

I would have thought I needed something very attenuative seen as though the OG will be pretty high. I've always had good results with 05 in my IPA's, was just looking in to an alternative

I would have thought I needed something very attenuative seen as though the OG will be pretty high. I've always had good results with 05 in my IPA's, was just looking in to an alternative

Yeah, you definitely want something "clean" and attenuative. The ones I mentioned I've done with my DFH 60 minute clone recipe. You don't want it to be sweet, and with an OG of 1.070 or so, getting to even 1.014 is 79% attenuation. SO4 might work ok, but has a lower attenuation, so you may have a higher FG than with S05.

Yeah, you definitely want something "clean" and attenuative. The ones I mentioned I've done with my DFH 60 minute clone recipe. You don't want it to be sweet, and with an OG of 1.070 or so, getting to even 1.014 is 79% attenuation. SO4 might work ok, but has a lower attenuation, so you may have a higher FG than with S05.

I find 90 pretty sweeter and pretty malt oriented compared to many of the higher attenuated IIPAs and you definitely want something with a brit orientation...so something that's slightly less attenuative than 05/notty and not quite so clean is the ticket if you're really going for that 90 minute character

"Which WL strains would be the closest matches for brewing your 60min., 90min., and 120min. IPA's?
Any good, flavorful English ale yeast should get you close, then pile on the hops in the end of the boil and in the fermenter. Bang, instant Dogfish!
Dogfish Head Brewer Interview - Brew-Monkey.Com

I really like Wyeast 1450 (used to be 2450) Denny's Favorite 50 for this kind of beer. It's getting to be my go to yeast for most things I would use california ale for.

Plus as of yesterday it should be available from WYeast again

I've used Wyeast 1187 - Ringwood Ale. It has interesting character. The DFH owner recommended it for a brown ale and I tried it in an IPA too. Not your average IPA if you're looking for something different. Definitely make a starter and the fermentation takes a little longer to finish, at least 14 days in primary.

Just my 0.02 here, as I have bought the clone kit from the Extreme brewers. They actually recommend S-04 as the dry yeast, and I find it to be great for this recipe. It's one of the only brews I have where I can drink the whole bottle with no yeast sediment on the bottom (go figure). It works great, and makes a nice beer.

Back