Bottling after Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irwinben

Reaction score
I think I just ruined my beer... I dry hopped a 5 gallon batch of Citra APA with 2 ounces of whole leaf hops for 7 days. Despite floating at the top of the secondary, the hops managed to clog my siphon to the bottling bucket almost immediately. The result was a mixture of bubbles and beer going through the siphon tube into the bottling bucket. I think I managed to fully aerate every drop of wort.

This is not my first attempt at dry hopping. My first experience was with the same beer, but with pellet hops. In that case, the pellets broke up and permeated throughout the entire 5 gallons in the bottling bucket. So much for spending any time in the secondary for clarification purposes.

Each of my attempts at dry hopping have turned out well from a flavor and hop aroma standpoint (other than the random hop leaf or pellet floater coming out of the bottle).

Are there any tried and true techniques for getting the beer from the secondary and into the bottling bucket cleanly - without excess sedimentation or clogging?
--use a filter at the bottom of the siphon?
--does a bucket work better than a carboy?
--... ??? other ideas

Thanks.

you can put your hops in a muslin bag (basically cheese cloth) that you can pick up at you lhbs. Or you can tie a muslin bag around the end of your siphon. Both work great

Sounds practical. Is there any impact on hop utilization? Do you leave the bag in the carboy while siphoning or do you normally squeeze it through the narrow neck of the carboy first?

I dry hop in a keg with pellet hops. I put all my pellet hops in a sanitized muslin bag along with 5 or 6 sanitized clean smooth glass marbles. Then i tie the bag shut, then tie non waxed non flavored sanitized floss around the bag then tie the other end to the lid of the keg so that the bag is suspended about 1/2 down the keg. Leave for how ever long you want, then remove and save your marbles if you so choose. Works really well. No clogs in my keg yet, and only a few hop particles in the first few beers pulled (gave those beers to my hop crazy friends). Good Luck!

Back