Beer Clarity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghosthef

Reaction score
I have an amber ale that that has been in the primary for 11 days so far and still has a significant amount of material floating around in the wort. I was planning on moving the wort to secondary at 14 days. Should I hold until things settle out more or let that happen during secondary? I did use Irish Moss for my wort.

If it is at confirmed FG you can move it to secondary to clear, you can leave it for another week or two in primary to clear or you can cold crash it for a few days to clear, whichever works best for you:)

I have not taken a reading on it since it started fermenting.

Thanks all. I will let it rest until Sunday and take a reading.

I rarely use a secondary for my beers unless I want to dry hop or condition for more than a month. I usually have my primary stage go for 3-4 weeks and then cold crash for a few days to get great clarity that was better than any secodary method I used. I recommend cold crashing and maybe adding a packet of unflavored gelatin after the beer has been crashed for 24 hours. This way you do not have to secondary.

Back