Brewery Job

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a family member in the wine industry. He told me that the vast majority of winery owners/winemakers made their money somewhere else....i.e. bankers, lawyers, business, etc. A lot of breweries are the same way....the owners might have been homebrewers BUT they were successful in other careers that gave them the tools to have successful breweries.

+1 #dontquityourdayjob

Well this is starting to really get me down... I realize that breweries are more or less factories, however I guess that you're right that after all is said and done, it's still a business. That all being said, I still think it's something I need to do. I want the experience so someday down the line I can open up my own brewery and not have it go down in flames. If I own my own place, then we can make different beers and such; also if I own my own place, I'll be running the place and I can make the job as fun as I want.

Aside from all that, I still hold out hope for some breweries that continue to do a lot of different things, such as Dogfish Head. They are by far my favorite brewery, not because all of their beers blow me away (a lot of them do, though), but because they try new things and have such an extensive product line of exotic beers. Not that I expect them to hire me, but that's why I want to make my way into the industry and slowly be able to work my way up.

However if this doesn't work out, anyone have any good suggestions for other jobs to look into that won't require me to be sitting on my ass at a desk?

Don't get down. If you want it, make it happen...............the rest be damned.

Good luck.

Well this is starting to really get me down... I realize that breweries are more or less factories, however I guess that you're right that after all is said and done, it's still a business. That all being said, I still think it's something I need to do. I want the experience so someday down the line I can open up my own brewery and not have it go down in flames. If I own my own place, then we can make different beers and such; also if I own my own place, I'll be running the place and I can make the job as fun as I want.

Aside from all that, I still hold out hope for some breweries that continue to do a lot of different things, such as Dogfish Head. They are by far my favorite brewery, not because all of their beers blow me away (a lot of them do, though), but because they try new things and have such an extensive product line of exotic beers. Not that I expect them to hire me, but that's why I want to make my way into the industry and slowly be able to work my way up.

However if this doesn't work out, anyone have any good suggestions for other jobs to look into that won't require me to be sitting on my ass at a desk?

Dude....you are 23 and you have a great deal of time ahead of you. Nobody but yourself can bring you down. I cannot speak with industry knowledge but can say this, if you want it bad enough you will find it. I will not preach my own life story here, but, my career started to take shape at 22 years of age. Hustle now, reap the rewards later. Persistance is key. Let the brewery(s) know that you will not give up after a rejection. I like the idea of printing a short resume on a bottle of your homebrew. I rememebr one past employee who drafted his resume as a blueprint. He got the job and moved on to become a mechanical engineer. Most newer craft breweries do not have dedicated HR so the likelihood of an owner/brewer touching your resume is good. If you decide to change course and find a career you can take with you anywhere, check out any ROP or CC courses for machine shop. I love making things that make things.

Well I can tell you that I already have the BEST JOB in the entire world...firefighter! Everyday is different. Some are exciting, many are not. It also works well for someone who eventually wants to start a brewery, in fact many firefighters already have. You have dependable income/benefits and a great schedule. You can run the brewery as your side business on your days off. Most firefighters I know like to drink beer and many are former tradesman i.e (plumbers, electricians, carpenters). They are usually more than willing to help a brother out. Sometimes I think I could start a brewery, only sell to firefighters and still be profitable!!:tank:[/QUOTE]

Haha! You said it! The brewery up the street from my shop was started by a Firefighter and School teacher. A local HBS was started by two firefighters who also hold EMT classes next door to their brew shop. I also heard you guys make some damn good chili!

Not to be a d*ck, but what were you expecting?

Magical goats that squirt beer from their udders while unicorns fart hop aromas and a jolly team of elves bottling beer while getting massaged by a scantily clad team of Swedish girls? :ban: :drunk:

Hope you don't take that the wrong way.

Kind of hard not to take that the wrong way, however I like the imagery.

I guess I romanticized the industry to myself, but I don't necessarily think that's such a bad thing. Keeps me optimistic. But not about my job chances. I'm just going to hang in there, see if I can get a job doing something I'd like to be doing, and if not then sell my soul to the corporate machine. Too bad souls don't sell for **** these days.

Well I can tell you that I already have the BEST JOB in the entire world...firefighter! Everyday is different. Some are exciting, many are not. It also works well for someone who eventually wants to start a brewery, in fact many firefighters already have. You have dependable income/benefits and a great schedule. You can run the brewery as your side business on your days off. Most firefighters I know like to drink beer and many are former tradesman i.e (plumbers, electricians, carpenters). They are usually more than willing to help a brother out. Sometimes I think I could start a brewery, only sell to firefighters and still be profitable!!:tank:

Haha! You said it! The brewery up the street from my shop was started by a Firefighter and School teacher. A local HBS was started by two firefighters who also hold EMT classes next door to their brew shop. I also heard you guys make some damn good chili![/QUOTE]

That's cool! Which brewery is it?

(Didn't read the entire thread, so if this is a repeat, please ignore.)

If you really want to get your foot in the door look for small town breweries. They don't pay much but it's hard to find people who want to work there.

Another option would be volunteering at a small brewery to get your foot in the door. There's always more work to do than there is money to pay employees. You won't start as the head brewer, but you can learn a lot. Sometimes I volunteer on holidays and after work at the local brewery and the experience has been priceless. I have been able to assist in the brewing of a couple of 7 barrel batches, fill kegs, work the taproom filling growlers, and do a number of other tasks that, while not glamorous, gave me a great idea of how a real brewery works (i.e. cleaning fermenters and the mash tun, unloading the grain shipments, etc.). Further, in my experience, breweries really appreciate the people who are willing to donate their time to help.

cayergeau, i too am 23, for a few more weeks at least. I got in the brewing industry, but you have to start at the bottom. I am a packaging tech. I want to move to brewing some day but it takes time to work into brewing. If you have to clean toilets to get into the brewery, do it. Go for it while you are young enough and not tied down to get in.

Phunhog said:
Haha! You said it! The brewery up the street from my shop was started by a Firefighter and School teacher. A local HBS was started by two firefighters who also hold EMT classes next door to their brew shop. I also heard you guys make some damn good chili!

That's cool! Which brewery is it?[/QUOTE]

Oceanside Ale Works. They just started bottling. Cant wait to see what they are going to release.

cayergeau, i too am 23, for a few more weeks at least. I got in the brewing industry, but you have to start at the bottom. I am a packaging tech. I want to move to brewing some day but it takes time to work into brewing. If you have to clean toilets to get into the brewery, do it. Go for it while you are young enough and not tied down to get in.

that's what im hoping to do. how exactly did you get your job?

It was just good timing for me. Having a master in Engineering was a big part too, but we have hired a couple new people at the same time I started. It is all timing.

It was just good timing for me. Having a master in Engineering was a big part too, but we have hired a couple new people at the same time I started. It is all timing.

I can attest to the timing aspect. Just keep trying, position yourself to be in the right place at the right time...hit up breweries that are just starting out, and don't give up. Make it happen.

Back