GE 7 cu ft Freezer Power Draw

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SudsGuy

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've looked high and low here and online for some information on the GE 7 cu ft Freezer's power draw to no avail. I called GE and (surprise, surprise) the woman who answered the phone was no help. She told me that the freezer requires 3000-4500W on start-up (about 40A @120V) which I'm thinking can't be right.

Does anyone know for sure what the start-up, or running, power draw is for this freezer? Or the current draw (either will work)? I have a 10A SSR that I was going to use with an external temperature controller so I want to make sure that's robust enough.

Thanks!

I have a GE 8.8 cubic inch freezer, and I just went and checked it out. It peaks at about 8 amps when it starts up, and is ~5 amps when running. Obviously, our freezers may vary.

Additionally, there should be a sticker on the freezer that tells its electrical requirements.

I know there's a sticker on it, but I'm still in the planning stages so I don't have the freezer yet and I don't want to make a trip to the store just to see the power draw.

I'm going to assume that the smaller freezer will not draw more than the larger so the 10A SSR should work...if it does, then I'll have to adjust when I get the freezer.

Thanks!

Your manual indicated that if you use an extension cord to have one rated for 15 amps so i would think that 40A is way out of line.....

most hvac compressors that i have seen have a start up capacitor that helps lighten the draw on the household circuit

my 15-year old 14cu ft whirpool pulls 6 amps on startup and 2.5 amps when running. i switch it with a 10-amp mechanical relay, and the contacts still look new after 2 years of running time. newer units that use r134a refrigerant operate at higher pressures so have higher starting loads.

Latest posts

Back