Plastic Aroma and Taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewRI

Reaction score
I tried my first batch of beer and...uugghhh. There is a heavy plastic aroma as well as a plastic like taste. I use a plastic bucket to ferment in but it seems that many people do this without any sort of problem. What stages, or problems could have caused this? I was not present when they were put into bottles, is there anything in the bottling stage that could have caused this? I used an all extract recipe with only 1 kind of DME and Saaz Hops, with a nottingham yeast packet. I used bleach as a sanitizer, but I recently purchased enough Iodopher to sanitize a small country. Any ideas?

EDIT: I only used a primary and the recipe said to leave it in for 5-8 days but I left it in for about 14, it said let the bottles sit for 7 days I tried it on the 13th just because I was curious. Also the beer is not very carbonated, my roommate did the bottling but hes not around so I cant ask him what he did.

If the bucket is food grade, it won't be that. I had the same problem with my first few batches. In my case it turned out that the hoses were not food grade, so when I was moving hot wort through through through the hose it was leaching plastic flavor into the beer. As soon as I changed to high temp, silicone food grade hoses the problem disappeared.

When were you moving hot wort through the tubes though? When I put the wort into my primary I just dumped it in so it could get some oxygen into it. I think the only time the hose was used was to siphon it into another bucket right before it was bottled.

When were you moving hot wort through the tubes though? When I put the wort into my primary I just dumped it in so it could get some oxygen into it. I think the only time the hose was used was to siphon it into another bucket right before it was bottled.

I just realized that you're doing it extract, so my experience is probably not relevant. I would check that your bucket is food grade. Also you may be experiencing a medicinal / 'bandaid' off flavor (I noticed you're using bleach; you might not have rinsed thoroughly enough):

http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter21-2.html

I'm no expert though.

I had this same problem when using a chlorine based cleaner (like the chlorine in bleach). When I would burp my beer it tasted like I had swallowed rubber. Once I switched to star-san my beer tasted great. Chlorine lingers and is hard to rinse clean, causes a lot of problems if residue is left behind.

I had this same problem when using a chlorine based cleaner (like the chlorine in bleach). When I would burp my beer it tasted like I had swallowed rubber. Once I switched to star-san my beer tasted great. Chlorine lingers and is hard to rinse clean, causes a lot of problems if residue is left behind.

I started using campden tablets recently to mitigate risk of Chlorine spoiling things. Definitely recommended; one less thing to stress about.

Have any of you used Iodophor BTF Solution, I picked up a bottle online but I'm skeptical of starting a next batch before I can figure out what happened with this first one. I didn't let it sit in the bottled properly (2 weeks at 60 instead of 3 at 70ish) so I'm thinking of waiting 2-3 more weeks to see what changes take place.

Have any of you used Iodophor BTF Solution, I picked up a bottle online but I'm skeptical of starting a next batch before I can figure out what happened with this first one. I didn't let it sit in the bottled properly (2 weeks at 60 instead of 3 at 70ish) so I'm thinking of waiting 2-3 more weeks to see what changes take place.

I use Iodophor for sanitizing my equipment and the wife does too for her mead equipment. So far no issues with her batches and my first with it.

I love Idophor. I use Oxyclean for cleaning, and Idophor for sanitizing. Just 1 cap full per 5 gallons, it goes a long way. And it's a no-rinse solution. I mostly keg now, but when bottling I sanitize with Idophor for a few minutes and then sanitize again in the dish washer (no soap, obviously) and never had any problems.

+1 on campden tabs. Had same prob with a couple of batches. Local water supply can vary in amount of chlorine/chloramines, especially during warmer summer months. Since i used, haven't had the problem again. hopefully this nipped it.

I tried my first batch of beer and...uugghhh. There is a heavy plastic aroma as well as a plastic like taste. I use a plastic bucket to ferment in but it seems that many people do this without any sort of problem. What stages, or problems could have caused this? I was not present when they were put into bottles, is there anything in the bottling stage that could have caused this? I used an all extract recipe with only 1 kind of DME and Saaz Hops, with a nottingham yeast packet. I used bleach as a sanitizer, but I recently purchased enough Iodopher to sanitize a small country. Any ideas?

You are describing the classic, bad homebrew flavor of phenolics. This is most often caused by fermenting at too high a temperature, poor sanitation which allowed an infection or a combination of the two.

Latest posts

Back