2 1/2 gallon keg from garden sprayer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casebrew

Reaction score
I found a new, in box, stainless garden sprayer at a garage sale, almost free. I've put a party hose on the outlet. The pump port is about 2" in diameter, big enough for inspection and get a carboy brush in. But I want to get rid of the pump to avoid sanitation issues with all those parts. I've made a clear plexiglass block off for the pump port. Now I would like to mount a ball-lock gas inlet, so I can carbonate. I don't want to cut up a 5 gallon corny for the piece that's welded/soldered on. Is a fitting available ? Perhaps as an extension hose fitting? Nothing at a couple HBS on the net...

Otherwise, I'll drill and tap the plexiglass for 1/4 pipe, and screw in something less elegant...

Exactly what I asked for! But for $20 by the time I get er done, perhaps I'll go with the less elegant concept for now. While I keep my etes open for a $5 corny...I did find a $12 plastic gismo (#keg580)at morebeer that screws onto a 2 litre bottle, to carbonate small batchs? Or, how big of a bottle uses that cap? there I go, thinking again...

People use schrader valves (tire valves) bonded to bottle caps, that might work. Be really careful about the amount of pressure you put into the tank. Does it have a relief valve?

Releif valve? Not yet, but I'm not done yet either. Then, I'll fill it totally with water and 'hydro test' it to the pressure releive valve activation.

Oh well, scrap one spray tank.

I couldn't braze the stainless tank. I don't know the alloy, it was resistance welded when built. Just getting it hot made it crack. I could see the crack was offset with a braze over the top, so not from cooling. I tried brazing over the crack, more cracks spider webbed out. Ran out of rod. Next time I'll try silver solder.

By the way, I've lost my cursor on this form. Makes it a PITA to edit.

Latest posts

Back