caps and bottles. a newb needs to know

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exbrit

Reaction score
Ok so i'm a bit confused over the bottling situation. I'm lead to believe there are two types of bottles, the twist off and the pry off.

Are there two types of caps also? do you need to use the twist caps with the twist bottles and vice versa?

Are the pry off bottles superior?

You guys are great. Thanks for the help so far. Will be bottling my first batch in a week or so

Pry off bottles have a thicker lip on the top to take repeated capping and they also have the appropriate bulge that a wing capper grabs onto. You can sometimes crimp onto a twist off bottle with a bench capper but the glass does break sometimes. The caps are all the same.

You can't really use the twist off glass bottles for homebrew. You'll need pry-off bottles, unused caps, and a capper. You can get caps & a capper from pretty much any hombrew shop or online supplier.

I believe the twist off bottles utilize a special capper/crimper? By the way there are also swingtops that do not need any type of capper mechanism but are less available.

Newfoundland twist off bottles can handle repeated filling, but only with a bench capper. Maybe one in 15 of mine break. The bottle in Ontario have longer necks, but I bet they can still handle being reused with a bench capper, these bottles are reused by the breweries, so I can't see why you wouldn't be able to reuse them at home.

I believe the twist off bottles utilize a special capper/crimper? By the way there are also swingtops that do not need any type of capper mechanism but are less available.

Swingtops are also more expensive.
2lever cappers will do a good job at breaking twistoff bottles.

so i guess i need a few cases of pry off bottles. I already have the capper and caps.

Any suggestions for brands of beer that the bottles work well for capping?

so i guess i need a few cases of pry off bottles. I already have the capper and caps.

Any suggestions for brands of beer that the bottles work well for capping?

Any of the bottles with a standard neck, brown bottles. I don't use Odells anymore because I've broken a few of those as well.

Here is a list from the Wiki of some of the bottles that are great to use:

Pry off bottles - Home Brewing Wiki

FWIW, I know ChshreCat has ahd troubles with New Belgium bottles, but I have about 4.5 cases of them along with a couple cases of Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, Gordon Biersch, and some mix'n match from other beers, and I have had absolutely no breakers from the NB bottles inparticular using a Red Baron capper. Having said that, I think the NB bottles are a little thinner than some of the others, and the Gordon Biersch bottles are quite thick.

Latest posts

Back