Beer Experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seeves1982

Reaction score
Hi,
My friend went to Germany and had Hefeweisen there and came home with this amazing idea that we needed to brew some. This is what got me back into brewing. I have basic knowledge and have brewed a few batches in the past. I brewed a kit to get myself back in the groove and after that first batch,,, the beer experimenting started. He talked about how potent the authentic stuff was so I was going for this affect. Not knowing exactly what I was doing, the only way I knew to increase the alcohol was to put in more yeast food. So Instead of using 6lbs of extract for a 5 gallon batch, I decided to use 9lbs of extract and raise my yield upto a 6 gallon batch and just wanted to see what would come of it. Anyway I did a full wort boil and used 1 pouch of wyeast hefeweisen activator pouch. And followed the directions as far as smacking the bladder and letting the package swell. I did a primary of 1 week and a secondary of 3 weeks. I've tried researching, but can't find any answers. What is the ingredient to more alcohol? Yeast type, Yeast Quantity, or more malt? or all of it? Did I waste the 3lbs of malt?

Thanks,
Mike

more fermentables raises your abv.
you need to make sure your yeast can handle it though.
what was the OG and FG?

OG was around 1.060 no FG yet. Still in secondary until friday. I used wyeast hefeweizen activator which I believe should handle it. If I would want to go to a higher OG should I use more yeast or a different yeast?

Thanks for the input.

Latest posts

Back