Roselare blend question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derekm

Reaction score
I did my first flanders red last weekend and pitched the wyeast roselare blend. I know this blend has sacc as well bugs. Do I need to secondary this after primary fermentation is through. It was still for a couple days and now it is looking much like a normal fermentation. Do I rack after this slows to get it off the yeast and let pelicle form, or do you leave it in primary for a year? What about autolysis of the sacc yeast? A little confused. Thanks Derek

Autolysing sacc yeast is food for brett. So you can rack or not, it won't make much of a difference.

I'm planning to go for a short, warm fermentation (2 months) at 80*F, and rack to a keg to let it age, so I can pitch another batch on the cake which will get blended with the first batch to taste. The second batch should get considerably more sour than the first since there will be more lacto and acetic bacteria. Depending on how sour it is I may rack and pitch a third time and let that ride, or stop there. The final batch will be left in the primary fermenter for 8-12 months.

Back