Guide To Home Malting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Me and two of my fellow home brewers are planing on attempting to grow a small crop of barley in the near future. my question is about malting the barley, what malting practices work well and what is the best way to make specialty grains? if anyone can offer a rough guide as to what temperature and amount of time to use to produce various types of specialty malt that would be awesome!

There are also some previously posted threads with a wealth of information/links, just do a search on this site.

As to your question of timeline, I am on the 6th day (See Hapiness is: home malting) and will probably take another 2-3 days to make pale malt, however there are a ton of variables.
As to your question about specialty malts, most of them are made from pale malt (already malted barley) except for maybe crystal which some say to use "green" malt kilned at a higher temperature, I'm still researching crystal/caramel malting. I believe there is a link to a page or two showing process for different specialty grains on one of the threads, I believe Palmers book also has some info in the back.

Back