Partial mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

titletowngirl

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Because of all your help and great advice we have brewed many successful beers over the last year. Now we officially have the sickness! We want to enter into the all-grain world but start off with a partial mash. I would love any advice on equipment needs, books that are good resources, etc....to make this move. It seems kind of daunting.

partial mash covers a lot of ground.

do you want to add a small amount of base malt to convert specialty grains that need mashing? Or do you want to replace a significant portion of the extract in recipes for cost savings and retain the ability of stovetope partial boils?

a 5 gallon round cooler is both big enough for quite a bit of grain while still having your wort volumes small enough for stovetop boiling AND small enough for a deep grain bed in small mashes. really small mashes can be done with the pots you already steep grains with.

When I converted to partial mash brews, I used a 3 gallon drink cooler and a large reusable grain bag. I was only mashing about 5 lbs of grains so that worked well for me, plus it had a spout. If you are going all grian soon you could get a five gallon ine and convert it into a mash tun.

When I converted to partial mash brews, I used a 3 gallon drink cooler and a large reusable grain bag. I was only mashing about 5 lbs of grains so that worked well for me, plus it had a spout.

I used to do the same thing, now I use it for small 2.5 gal all grain batches. I can get 7 lbs in there and get about 76-77% efficiency batch sparging. One thing - my gatorade drink cooler does have a spout that will flip on all the way on so I don't have to hold it down the whole time. I'd recommend that if you go this route and you're not going to modify it.

Back