Trashy Renters Rant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
marley said:
We recently had a veteran who had gone crazy.

Removed all the outlets, light fixtures, etc, bathroom sink was clogged and had been running for quite some time, all bathroom flooring was rotten, dried vomit in multiple places, M16 up against wall (that's comforting), every wall had at least 5-6 base ball bat holes.

Everything was charged to him, and paid.

Had a alcoholic one time pass out while making french fries, and caused 5000 of fire damage to his apartment.

Actually had a whole building burn down this Summer, from a cigarette.

Insurance and deposits are important.

I went to a woman's apartment, called by the insurance, to take care of a fire the tenant caused by lighting candles under her an x mas tree in remembrance of her dead pet. Burned her place and her neighbors right before Xmas.

When we arrived a week later to continue work, she lots candles again all over the place AGAIN for whatever reason. Some people.

We recently had a veteran who had gone crazy.

Removed all the outlets, light fixtures, etc, bathroom sink was clogged and had been running for quite some time, all bathroom flooring was rotten, dried vomit in multiple places, M16 up against wall (that's comforting), every wall had at least 5-6 base ball bat holes.

Everything was charged to him, and paid.

Had a alcoholic one time pass out while making french fries, and caused 5000 of fire damage to his apartment.

Actually had a whole building burn down this Summer, from a cigarette.

Insurance and deposits are important.

If he paid for everything and left you a functional AR-15 (because it is highly unlikely it was an actual M-16) then I would consider that a nice bonus.

This is what I don't understand.

Some tendents,( many tendents in my area ) can be trashy, not all but some.

You have the right as the owner to inspect the property right? Why don't you inspect the property or just come by to do routine maintenance once every 90 days or so until your sure you have a good renter? If it's a big problem they won't/ can't clean it up in 48 hours.

If there is a problem an eviction can be a problem but it's nothing a live catch trap, a skunk, and a front key can't fix. 6 or 7 calls to CSD will work also.:)

This is the stuff that's always frustrating to hear. I live in a college town and I'm currently on the prowl for a new house to live in come spring/summer (used to be a college student, graduated and moved on from that life). However, since I'm still in this town and close to the age of a student I have that against me in my search. I've been on the hunt for a nice property with a decent landlord. I'm tidy, good with home repair, have a respectable, professional career and take pride in where I live and more importantly HOW I live (not at all like an animal) however I'll have the problem I'm in until 1. I move away or 2. I'm old enough to not be assumed I'm a barbarian partier.

College students are in fact the cause of downfall in trust of the housing market in a college town, and it sucks when you live in one.

Best of luck to you, OP!

Not so, if you have good credit and can pay the first 3 months up front that will get some attention. That's a lot of money but as they say, that's what talks.

This is what I don't understand.

Some tendents,( many tendents in my area ) can be trashy, not all but some.

You have the right as the owner to inspect the property right? Why don't you inspect the property or just come by to do routine maintenance once every 90 days or so until your sure you have a good renter? If it's a big problem they won't/ can't clean it up in 48 hours.

If there is a problem an eviction can be a problem but it's nothing a live catch trap, a skunk, and a front key can't fix. 6 or 7 calls to CSD will work also.:)

Not sure what a tendent is, but I can say for sure that evicting somebody isn't as easy as you think. We recently has a tenant who just stopped paying then declared bankruptcy right as the eviction order came down. We then had to pay the lawyer more money to try to flight a stay order due to the bankruptcy. Crappy people will always be crappy people and will usually always be renters.

Couldnt you have some sort of stipulations in your lease to keep you in the right here? I understand that laws favor the renter, but couldn't you do some things to cover your ass? I once signed a lease for an apartment saying that if the landlord found drugs in the apartment, we had 5 days to be out of there. I have no idea if it was legally binding or not though.

I'm an attorney and one of the tactics I've seen recently is that when the landlord starts squaking the tenant will go to the Attorney General's office and complain that the landlord is discriminating against them. Then the Attorney General's office, without doing a lick of investigation, gets the circuit court to issue a stay of proceedings... It buys the deadbeat tenant another month at least of free rent.

I'm with Ed Wort. I have gotten approve to make improvements many times. The one house I rented had rear steps when I moved in. When I left it had a full deck, landscaping, a pond, and a 12 x 12 shed.

If he paid for everything and left you a functional AR-15 (because it is highly unlikely it was an actual M-16) then I would consider that a nice bonus.

It was gear from the base he was assigned to, so it was whatever rifle he was issued.

I didn't get to keep his gun.

I also don't have a good time dicking around with repairs and contractors.

Not to mention the loss rent.

As for evictions, they can take a long time. That is why you hire a good lawyer to handle all of that.

I suggest using bluemoon software for your leases. The further you are from the legal side of things, the better.

Back