Brewing my first lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brad26

Reaction score
Going to brew a doppelbock in a few days, hopefully, just wanted to see what you guys think of my recipe.

5.00 Gallons

8.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
5.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Carafa II (412.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (60 min)
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (30 min)
1 Pkgs German Bock Lager (White Labs #WLP833)

Also, how big of a starter should I make for this brew? Will be my first brew using liquid yeast, so any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

Also, how big of a starter should I make for this brew? Will be my first brew using liquid yeast, so any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

I would make a small batch (3-4 gallons) of helles or Vienna lager with 2 vials direct-pitched and rinse the cake. If you make a starter, it will have to be at least a couple gallons anyway. You'll need about a cup of thick, healthy yeast for a doppelbock.

I would make a small batch (3-4 gallons) of helles or Vienna lager with 2 vials direct-pitched and rinse the cake. If you make a starter, it will have to be at least a couple gallons anyway. You'll need about a cup of thick, healthy yeast for a doppelbock.

+1

From what Brewsmith and MrMalty say you would need to pitch 2 vials of yeast and using a stir plate need about a 3 liter starter. The size of your starter goes up exponential if you do a lesser method of a starter ie.. simple starter or shaken every few hours!

If you don't have a stirplate I'd go with what 944play recommends!

Good luck!

yes do this. under pitching something like this is easy to do.

Back