Help w/ Warrior/Willamette IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael.berta

Reaction score
I'm trying to form an IPA based on Warrior for bittering & Willamette for finishing. I'd like advise on how make the best IPA with 2oz of Warrior & 4oz of Willamette.

This is for a 10 gallon AG batch 70% efficiency.

23# Marris Otter
1.5# Crystal 40L

2oz Warrior 60 Mins
1oz Willamette 30 mins
1oz Willamette 20 mins
1oz Willamette 10 mins
1oz Willamette dry hop

Notthingham Ale Yeast

Beer Calculus puts this at 1.063 OG with about 70 IBUs Tinseth. Can anyone think of a better way to use the hops or am I on the right path?

This is for a 10 gallon AG batch 70% efficiency.

For 10 finished gallons (11 into fermenter) at 70%, I get 1.054 OG.

Personally, I'd target about 50 IBUs by moving your hop additions later. I like an IPA to blow my head off with hop flavor and aroma, not bitterness.

Damn! 2oz Warrior @ 60! Yeah, this will be a really bitter brew. If that's your thing, cool, but I am with 944play: I like an IPA with hop flavor over bitterness. Personally, I'd slack off on the Warrior, and also throw one more of those Willamete additions into the dry hop. But that's just me.

Warrior/Willamete sounds like a fantastic combo for an IPA without the usual "cat-piss" American "C" hops. I love me some grapefruity Centennial, but sometimes I like a more traditional IPA. If anyone has a recipe for Belhaven's Twisted Thistle, I'd love to see it.

Damn! 2oz Warrior @ 60! Yeah, this will be a really bitter brew. If that's your thing, cool, but I am with 944play: I like an IPA with hop flavor over bitterness. Personally, I'd slack off on the Warrior, and also throw one more of those Willamete additions into the dry hop. But that's just me.

Warrior/Willamete sounds like a fantastic combo for an IPA without the usual "cat-piss" American "C" hops. I love me some grapefruity Centennial, but sometimes I like a more traditional IPA. If anyone has a recipe for Belhaven's Twisted Thistle, I'd love to see it.

This is for a 10 gallon batch BTW....

Latest posts

Back