my first blow off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangermouse

Reaction score
bloody hell...i woke up this morning and there was froth everywhere my airlock looked like a beehive with it all
.....i think i buggered up though cos when i was knocking it up i dumped a kg of dme in the fementer and it just went into a big rock of dme like balls of poppcorn type stuff,so i mixed it till i thought it had all got rid of it all and now bits are being spitted out through my newly attached blow off pipe...am i gonna lose some of the effect through the dme caremelising!

It looks like you will loose a little. :( You have greatly increased the gravity of the wort. I would go to your nearest hardware store and get real blowoff tubing.
1 1/4" Outside Diamater hose. It should fit in the neck of your carboy snug with out anything else. It will help you save a little and hopefully keep things from exploding!

BTW what was the O.G. and the yeast you used?

BTW what was the O.G. and the yeast you used?
.......bout 1064 it was b4 i added the yeast which was a packet of dried muntons premium gold yeast............the kit said to add sugar so i added 2kg of glucose and 1kg of light hopped dme......

one regular carboy stopper drilled out
two 1/2"ID hard els
one 5" length and one 21" length of 1/2"ID PVC

friction fit to allow breakdown and ease of cleaning with my bottle brush.

blowofftubev2-0.png

imo better than the 1 1/4" blow off tube as it's more compact

yeh i cud do with constructing something for next time seems like its calmed down now................

so what do u think the strengh of this brew will pan out at when the og is bout 1064

considering i dumped 1kg of dme
and 2kg of glucose when the kit just required 1kg of glucose!

Latest posts

Back