WLP001 = peach flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spiffcow

Reaction score
I recently brewed a series of 3 different IPAs, all using WLP001. I used the correct amount of yeast (according to MrMalty), making a starter for the first one, and pitching using trub from the primary for the second two. I fermented one batch at 70*, one at 66*, and one at 60*. Each one had a distinct peach flavor upon tasting. The first batch has been bottled for 2 months now, and the second one has been bottled for a month and a half, and both still have the peach flavor.

Has anyone else noticed this with WLP001? Is there anything I might have missed? Did I just get a bad vial?

Hmmm, I've never experience that with 001. What kind of hops did you use? Post your recipes and someone may be able to help determine where the peach flavor came from.

Hmmm, I've never experience that with 001. What kind of hops did you use? Post your recipes and someone may be able to help determine where the peach flavor came from.

All different kinds.. The first was a GF West Coast clone, with centennial, columbus, simcoe, amarillo, and cascade. That one came out the least peachy, but I think that's because all the hops (about 12 oz) covered it up.

The second one was a RyePA with summit and palisade.

The third was supposed to be EdWort's Bee Cave recipe (warrior and centennial), but I think my LHBS forgot to add the crystal malt when grinding up the grain.

never had that with 001. i've definitely had it with US-05 (the dry analogous yeast) and won't use 05 because of it.

I've never had this experience with 05 either, maybe someone else can answer. These are two yeasts that I use the most and I really like both of them, I'm not sure what could cause the peach. What are your ferm temps?

I've never had this experience with 05 either, maybe someone else can answer. These are two yeasts that I use the most and I really like both of them, I'm not sure what could cause the peach. What are your ferm temps?

GF Clone - 68 (rose to 70* on 3rd day)*
RyePa - 66*
Bee Cave IPA - 60*

Temperatures were taken using a floating thermometer that I leave in the bucket over the course of fermentation, and checked every day for the first 3-4 days so I can adjust the cooling unit accordingly.

Peach is sulfur-based flavor/aroma. Sulfur containing compounds are produced from stressed yeast and most commonly seen when fermented cool. All those temps you are posting are on the low side of what whitelabs recommends. It is possible that with the low temps combined with another stressor to cause this.

never had that with 001. i've definitely had it with US-05 (the dry analogous yeast) and won't use 05 because of it.

I've also seen this with US-05. I believe it's a known quality of that particular dry yeast. I actually think it works quite well with certain hop combinations. I have never had the same problem with 001.

Temperatures were taken using a floating thermometer that I leave in the bucket over the course of fermentation, and checked every day for the first 3-4 days so I can adjust the cooling unit accordingly.

If you're popping the top off that bucket every day, perhaps some strange bacteria or wild yeast got in there.

my fermentation temps were 63-65F in 3 pale ale batches (separate yeast packets) where i experienced this. i didn't perceive it in 2 stout batches, but attributed that to it being overridden by roast character.

in digging around through forums on this topic, it seems i'm not the only one who has had this issue with 05.

I would think it would be better to ferment reused yeast at the same temp. You are selecting yeast that perform at that temp and then you go and throw them into a lower temp... I dont know why I think this, but I do...

This is an old post, but I thought I'd chime in here for those reading this thread for info on a WLP001 peach flavor.

I'm currently fermenting an amber ale that started at 1.056 and am using WLP001. The blowoff was pretty impressive. I took the blowoff container off and dumped the contents to clean it and found a huge amount of yeast on the bottom. I called my 6 year-old son over, who's always interested in my beer brewing (good chap!). I said, "Smell it!" He did and said, "It smells like peaches!" I furrowed my brow and took a sniff. Sure enough... fruit! Well, a hoppy fruit smell.

So I went here to read up on WLP001 and see if others have noticed this. So far, after reading about 60 threads, I've found some people have. The OP of this thread indicated he used Centennial hops, which is what I used. My ferment temps have varied. I pitched at 65 F, it took off within five hours (used a decanted 1.6L starter on a stir plate), and temp dropped to 63 F. Last night it went down to 60 F. I've raised it to 67 F and will hold it around this range before raising it to ~72 F towards the end.

Other posts that indicate a peach smell say it happens at lower ferment temps, but I'm not sure if that's true. A slew of posts indicate they've fermented at ~60 F temps, and none indicated a peach smell. I'm beginning to think it's the hops.

I did first wort hopping of .5 oz. of Centennial at first runnings, then boiled for an hour. After flameout, I cooled it to 110 F and added the other .5 oz. and steeped that for 10 minutes or so, then transferred this to the fermenter. I'll finish with a 1 oz. dry hop addition of Cashmere for three days, remove it, and perhaps another 1 oz. for three days, and then I'll keg it.

My hope was to get fruity characteristics from the hops to accent the malt profile in the grain bill, yet ferment using a more neutral yeast. WLP001 seemed like a decent yeast to use for an amber ale.

Peaches? I'm starting to think perhaps its from the Centennial hops and the way I used them pre- and post-boil.

Any other comments from the folks, please chime in! Comparing experience is the best way to learn, along with actually brewing.

Last edited:
This is an old post, but I thought I'd chime in here for those reading this thread for info on a WLP001 peach flavor.

I'm currently fermenting an amber ale that started at 1.056 and am using WLP001. The blowoff was pretty impressive. I took the blowoff container off and dumped the contents to clean it and found a huge amount of yeast on the bottom. I called my 6 year-old son over, who's always interested in my beer brewing (good chap!). I said, "Smell it!" He did and said, "It smells like peaches!" I furrowed my brow and took a sniff. Sure enough... fruit! Well, a hoppy fruit smell.

So I went here to read up on WLP001 and see if others have noticed this. So far, after reading about 60 threads, I've found some people have. The OP of this thread indicated he used Centennial hops, which is what I used. My ferment temps have varied. I pitched at 65 F, it took off within five hours (used a decanted 1.6L starter on a stir plate), and temp dropped to 63 F. Last night it went down to 60 F. I've raised it to 67 F and will hold it around this range before raising it to ~72 F towards the end.

Other posts that indicate a peach smell say it happens at lower ferment temps, but I'm not sure if that's true. A slew of posts indicate they've fermented at ~60 F temps, and none indicated a peach smell. I'm beginning to think it's the hops.

I did first wort hopping of .5 g of Centennial at first runnings, then boiled for an hour. After flameout, I cooled it to 110 F and added the other .5 g and steeped that for 10 minutes or so, then transferred this to the fermenter. I'll finish with a 1g dry hop addition of Cashmere for three days, remove it, and perhaps another 1g for three days, and then I'll keg it.

My hope was to get fruity characteristics from the hops to accent the malt profile in the grain bill, yet ferment using a more neutral yeast. WLP001 seemed like a decent yeast to use for an amber ale.

Peaches? I'm starting to think perhaps its from the Centennial hops and the way I used them pre- and post-boil.

Any other comments from the folks, please chime in! Comparing experience is the best way to learn, along with actually brewing.
how big of batch did you brew if you are only using a couple grams of hops?

I use US05 more than WLP001 but some say they are somewhat related. Only once have I got a fruity beer, but I have had many beers that smelled fruity while fermenting. The one that was fruity tasting(and smelling) was brewed in my garage without temp controlled. The weather was weird that week, a few days of above average temps and few days of below average so I don't know which one did it.

Ahhh... I made a mistake. The hop additions were tweaked up to the night before Brew Day. After watching interviews with Charlie Bamforth, John Palmer, and Gordon Strong, I changed my hop addition method.

Thanks for the correction on my additions. Here's the accurate method I followed:

- .5 oz. of Centennial as a first wort addition during first runnings.
- .5 oz. of Centennial at 20 minutes.
- 1 oz. of Cashmere after post-boil cooling to 110 F.

I'll dry hop another 1 ounce of Cashmere for three days, taste, and decide if I want to dry hop another 1 ounce for three days. Then keg, cold crash, and age.

So the fruit scent is probably coming from the hops. But my original post was wrong. Additions were 1 oz. total of Centennial and 1 oz. of Cashmere.

That's what I get for writing the note at work... no brewing notes to consult! o_O

Last edited:
If it was from the hops I would guess cashmere over centennial, and it could still be from the yeast. If it is was from the yeast it is possible that the fruity aromas and or flavors may not show up in the final beer. I used to have some brett that would give off this wonderful tropical fruit smell while fermenting yet nothing like that in the final beer.

If it was from the hops I would guess cashmere over centennial, and it could still be from the yeast. If it is was from the yeast it is possible that the fruity aromas and or flavors may not show up in the final beer. I used to have some brett that would give off this wonderful tropical fruit smell while fermenting yet nothing like that in the final beer.

Very true about the hop character probably being Cashmere over Centennial. I chose Cashmere as the aroma hop because of its citrus/fruit character.

As for it being the yeast that may be causing the peach smell, I lean more towards hops mainly because of all the posts by people saying they never had a peach scent using WLP001/US05. Now, you could be right. But knowing the character Cashmere can impart, perhaps the peach is coming from that.

I'm super interested to see how this comes out. I've had brews that changed drastically post fermentation and especially during aging. I'm curious to see how this peach/fruit flavor evolves or if it disappears entirely. It would be nice to definitively know exactly where it's coming from though. I'm not entirely sure how to do that.

Cool hobby... Complicated with lots to research and learn! :)

Last edited:
First generation is suppose to be the most peachy. The time I got something other than clean it was like fruit loops, and it lasted until the end. I used cascade, chinook and Columbus.

First generation is suppose to be the most peachy. The time I got something other than clean it was like fruit loops, and it lasted until the end. I used cascade, chinook and Columbus.

How did you like the results? Did it dominate the beer, or was it balanced in the beer's overall final character?

I'll post how it turns out and what happens with the fruity notes.

I liked the flavor and aroma but it was probably too much for an American Pale Ale. I have thought about trying to reproduce the result but never tried it. I used to make fruit flavored wheat beers for my wife, I think it would work well for something like that.

I don't think they are universally hated or undesirable, but peach esters and slow flocculation do seem to be the two major complaints people have with WLP001 and US05.

The one time it showed up for me it was at a level where it would probable be considered a fault from a contest perspective.

I won’t use any of the Chico yeast strains (us-05, wlp001, 1056) for that reason. I hate the flavor (I kind of taste it as fermented orange).

I find it funny that so many people hate the peach that US-05 gives off at low temps yet so many others rave about the peach that Conan is known for...

I use a lot of WLP001. It is my yeast of choice in many of my beers I run on tap all year long and have not noticed any peach notes. This may be a case where some people are more susceptible to picking up on it or perhaps having a reaction with their particular chemistry causing their taste buds to define the flavor as "peach like" This is very interesting.

I use a lot of WLP001. It is my yeast of choice in many of my beers I run on tap all year long and have not noticed any peach notes. This may be a case where some people are more susceptible to picking up on it or perhaps having a reaction with their particular chemistry causing their taste buds to define the flavor as "peach like" This is very interesting.

I think that’s the case. I taste it in beers that other people think are fine.

US05 has given me peach or white grape flavors a couple times when I tried to ferment around 65 or 66 on mid gravity beers. I only ferment at 68 now and have zero problems.

This is a good point. When I reported earlier that my son said he smelled peaches in the yeast, I didn't report here that I only smelled a fruity smell. I trust my 6 year old's nose. It's very, very sensitive... It's NEW! Mine is 53-years old. But you bring up a good point about sensitivity. I just found it so interesting, after he told me it smelled like peaches, that I go in this forum to find others say the same thing.

Back