First AG: Meet the New Boss...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
I had all of last week off, so I set aside a day to brew my first AG batch. Curiously enough :D, it was pretty much exactly like PM, just on a bigger scale. I made the move because I recently "inherited" a 50L stainless lauter tun w/ spigot and professionally-made false bottom.

The recipe was a hybrid British Brown / Brune Abbey. It has the hops and OG of an English Brown, but I subbed in some Aromatic and Sp. B, and used Wyeast 1214.

Mash went well...I just used my 32-qt kettle, then transferred over to the lauter tun when sparge time came. Did a stepped mash, as I do with PM, and it went fine. Sparging was a breeze using the 50L tun---I just batch-sparged. The one thing I noticed was that, no matter how many times I recycled the wort through the grains, it kept coming out with particulate. Oh well. I got it as clear as I could.

Boil went fine, as always. Put my brand new immersion chiller that santa brought me to use for the first time, and wow! No more ice baths, and I went from boiling to 75f in 15 mins. Hell yeah. Used the spigoted kettle to do a hop-back...which had the added benefit of allowing me to set up my carboy with the funnel strainer directly below the spigot---meaning that I would no longer have to pour or siphon the wort from the kettle. That was so nice.

Took a hydro reading, and lo and behold, I hit my target gravity of 1.056! 72% efficiency h'aint half bad for my first AG, no doubt.

The yeast got reused from my cranberry dubbel. The first time I used it, I didn't make a starter, and my lag time was 3 freakin' days! This time, I made a big 1L starter, and lag time was 2 or 3 hours. Fermentation was vigorous as hell, and finished very quickly. I pitched on Friday afternoon, and airlock activity had pretty much stopped by the time I woke up on Sunday. Took an SG reading yesterday...1.011! And it tastes excellent---nice and roasty/bready, with a little bit of stinkiness like I like in my Belgians.

All in all, I'm very happy with the whole process. Since I don't have a grain mill, I'm not sure if I'll be doing AG all the time, but it's nice to do it here and there. :ban:

orfy said:
Congrats.

Buying pre-milled grain is still a lot cheaper than extract.

My LHBS has a mill that they allow people to use free of charge, but there's no big difference in the cost of pre-milled versus non-milled.

Cheesefood said:
but there's no big difference in the cost of pre-milled versus non-milled.

No, the big price difference is when you have your own mill and buy your 2-row in bulk

1.69 versus .80

the_bird said:
You're paying $1.69 for base malt? That's insane.

well now that i look at it.....yea your right

Rahr 2-row is .99 a lb

Maris Otter is 1.69

hmm.....I need to start some experimentation with Rahr and compare it to MO

*edit Just read the Rahr needs a protein rest for improved clarity. I don't know, MO is a great base malt, but yea it is really expensive

orfy said:
Congrats.

Buying pre-milled grain is still a lot cheaper than extract.

Dude, don't I know it. Unfortunately, my closest HBS is 1.5 hours away...which means that, in order to do exclusively AG, I'd need to A) Order grain from an online HBS every time I need it and pay stupid shipping costs, or B) stock up on pre-milled grain, which doesn't keep as well as unmilled.

Anyone know how long milled grain is supposed to stay good? What if I vacuum-packed it?

Ive let it sit a week and a half in my freezer and it was still good. Im not too sure what the limits are though.

My next big investment is a crankandstein and 55lb bags of grain.

Evan! said:
Anyone know how long milled grain is supposed to stay good? What if I vacuum-packed it?

Given how many batches you seem to brew, I don't think it'll be a problem... :D

The actual answer, I think, is a couple months if you keep it cool and dry. But yeah, building a mill is the next project for me, my mill rollers should be on the way shortly thanks to Yuri.

the_bird said:
Given how many batches you seem to brew, I don't think it'll be a problem... :D

The actual answer, I think, is a couple months if you keep it cool and dry. But yeah, building a mill is the next project for me, my mill rollers should be on the way shortly thanks to Yuri.

You aren't suggesting that 115 gallons of beer in 6 months is...too much? :p Since I'm married, I can legally brew 200 gals per year. Mwah ha ha!

How much are you going to end up spending on your mill?

Milled grain will last upto 12 months if you add water,hops and yeast then store in bottles or kegs.

1 sack should do around 5 brews so you should be able to get through it in a month. I bet it'd last several months easy though.

Don't know yet. Yuri made me a couple of 8 inch rollers for $40 plus a sixer. I'll buy a couple lengths of steel and some wood at Depot, don't know exactly how much that'll run yet. I've already got an old, corded drill to provide the juice. I bet it'll be $60 - $70, depending on what I have for scrap kicking around that I can put to use. I'll post pics as I get it built.

the_bird said:
Don't know yet. Yuri made me a couple of 8 inch rollers for $40 plus a sixer. I'll buy a couple lengths of steel and some wood at Depot, don't know exactly how much that'll run yet. I've already got an old, corded drill to provide the juice. I bet it'll be $60 - $70, depending on what I have for scrap kicking around that I can put to use. I'll post pics as I get it built.
I'm using some of Yuris design on my grain mill. It sure is a fun project. My next project is Yuris DIY stir plate then after that figure out how I'm suppose to use it!LOL :mug:
What a kick A** hobby---beer, power tools, fire, and my house smells great for a day and a half after a brew!!!Correct me if I'm missing something.

67coupe390 said:
What a kick A** hobby---beer, power tools, fire, and my house smells great for a day and a half after a brew!!!Correct me if I'm missing something.

Don't forget all the great people... :D

Back