Other hobbies besides homebrew..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Golf
Recording and producing music in my home studio

Although, now that I'm chasing two little rugrats around 24/7, I don't have much time for either of those anymore. One of the reasons I've been so into brewing in the last few years is that I can do it at home and still be "useful" in taking care of the kids.

I run. Yes, it is ridiculous. Really, it's a damn good thing I run as much as I do or else all of this beer drinking would really catch up with me. :mug:

I run also. Started in HS, then in the Navy started doing 10k's. Found I was much better as the distance increased. I did it backwards however. Ran my first 50k when I was 48yrs old, top 20. Finished 4 100's, top 10, and my only 100k in the mtns above Provo Utah, 5th place in 15hrs. Then I went back to marathons. Did ok, but didn't place as well. What can I say, I'm competitive at heart. People didn't believe me when I told them the Ultra's were easier than a marathon. In a marathon you push for 3 hrs (or however long you're out there), in an Ultra you start the race saying, I'm going to be out here all day long, lets just relax and have fun. Unfortunately I've had to slow down lately, but I still run.

Also Cats: the two I have now,
Savannah F3 (never had a cat like him. He likes the harness & leash, and fetches)
Egyptian Mau (best hunter I've ever had, plus a total cuddle bug)
Model Lionel trains (my grandson loves me!!)
Home remodeling: working on the guest bath at present
Woodworking

In the past:
Sailing: Dragon worlds in Toronto
Flying: I'm retired airline, but had a Nanchang CJ-6B I took to airshows

I run also. Started in HS, then in the Navy started doing 10k's. Found I was much better as the distance increased. I did it backwards however. Ran my first 50k when I was 48yrs old, top 20. Finished 4 100's, top 10, and my only 100k in the mtns above Provo Utah, 5th place in 15hrs. Then I went back to marathons. Did ok, but didn't place as well. What can I say, I'm competitive at heart. People didn't believe me when I told them the Ultra's were easier than a marathon. In a marathon you push for 3 hrs (or however long you're out there), in an Ultra you start the race saying, I'm going to be out here all day long, lets just relax and have fun. Unfortunately I've had to slow down lately, but I still run.

Also Cats: the two I have now,
Savannah F3 (never had a cat like him. He likes the harness & leash, and fetches)
Egyptian Mau (best hunter I've ever had, plus a total cuddle bug)
Model Lionel trains (my grandson loves me!!)
Home remodeling: working on the guest bath at present
Woodworking

In the past:
Sailing: Dragon worlds in Toronto
Flying: I'm retired airline, but had a Nanchang CJ-6B I took to airshows

That is just bonkers, I did a tough mudder 3 years ago and was pretty sure I was going to die. That one was only like 11-12 miles... Not 60 miles, my god man.

Otherwise on topic.

Weight lifting, love to dead lift, something primal about picking up a quarter ton of steel off the ground and (trying) to set it down gently.

Otherwise reading, but that's more in bursts, I'll buy a fantasy/science fiction book series and read the whole thing in 2 weeks then I won't pick up anything for a month.

That is just bonkers, I did a tough mudder 3 years ago and was pretty sure I was going to die.

Thanks, but not as tough as it seems. Did just a 5k mudder with my son last year, and man was I huffing & puffing by the end of it. Different sort of race altogether!! It's all what you get used to.

Cheers :mug:

I design and manufacture ice fishing jigs, spoons and plastics for panfish.
www.contrabandbaits.com

Looks awesome! I love ultralight panfish fishing and ultralight skinny stream fishing for pint sized smallies and Creek chubs (although I don't get to play as much as I used to). Do you happen to sell an assortment package?

Weight lifting, Guns (building ARs) and home projects. Cars/bikes used to be the main hobby, but homebrewing took over that. Way more return for the money

Golf
Recording and producing music in my home studio

Although, now that I'm chasing two little rugrats around 24/7, I don't have much time for either of those anymore. One of the reasons I've been so into brewing in the last few years is that I can do it at home and still be "useful" in taking care of the kids.

Cool deal...what instruments do you play?

Musicians rock!

Most sane people think I am nuts when I tell them that I like to bare foot water ski... Hey, when I'm not crashing it's pretty fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool deal...what instruments do you play?

Musicians rock!

Primarily guitar and vocals, but I can muddle my way through a bass part and a piano part if I have to.

You a musician too?

Really these days I'm more into producing and mixing/mastering than writing or performing. My days of playing live are over.

Other than being Mr. Fix It at home and at my duplex...just some simple woodworking. I've got my old man hobbies all set at middle age.

IMG_0500.jpg

Mine is restoration of old British cars. My favourite is my 58 MGA in it's original colors.

Hiking/Backpacking and cooking/baking. Used to love to fish/flyfish and I think I would like to try wood working but since I move every 3-6 months hobbies have to be very transportable. It is a pain in the a$$ to buy an out of state fishing license every 3-6 months not to mention trying to figure out where the good spots are. I will settle down someday and then I can return to telling lies about the one that got away. ( This is from Tillamook Bay, 45 wild Chinook. Had a guide. )

IMG_0386.jpg

Cooking, vegitable garden, home canning (everything:jelly, salsa, chicken). Home processing/smoking my own deer and hogs. Want to get into cheese making and honey. SWMBO won't yet allow the bees :)

Love seeing other people's stuff! Lots of talented people out there.

I just finished up another movie, but this one is an origami project I've been working on.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO2p_QBogIg[/ame]

When I'm not working, doing house work, or mowing, I'm either brewing, fishing, camping, or scuba diving. Inside hobbies are train modeling and when the opportunity arrives, I tinker with photography.

IMG_1645-3-L.jpg

IMAG0011-L.jpg

IMG_0827-L.jpg

IMG_0659-L.jpg

IMG_3926-L.jpg

Now it seems I put more time on the lawn mower than I do anything else. But at least now I can drive up to a tap of cold homebrew.

You homebrewers are a buncha weirdos. Me on the other hand enjoy vacuum-tube microphone building, old film cameras(Pentax) and native California plant propagation. Oh, and sushi. Can't forget sushi.

I shoot, mainly shotguns these days, sporting clays, five stand, skeet....or any target that flies. IDPA pistol shoots on occasion. All day 22 plinking sessions when I can. Keeps me outside and the freezer full.

I shoot, mainly shotguns these days, sporting clays, five stand, skeet....or any target that flies. IDPA pistol shoots on occasion. All day 22 plinking sessions when I can. Keeps me outside and the freezer full.

I'd love to do IDPA. Closest range (that does comps) is an hour away. With a 2.5 year old, I havnt even been able to golf in 3 years... I get down to my property though a few times a year to drill with my pistol and rifles... IDPA one day.

I used to competitively shoot guns (revolver, semi-auto, shotgun, and long distance rifle) but time constraints but a crimp on that as did the price of reloading (I reload all rounds minus shotgun because getting parts for reloading has become hard and the price very high). Prior to that I did dabble in comp. R/C racing 1/10 electric buggy & truck and also gas 1/8 buggy but time became a factor as our local racetrack closed down. Before that kart racing was a go to within my family. Part of our family ran a kart shop which was one of my first part time jobs as a kid.

I used to be on my buddy's pit crew with him and his brother for 1/4 midgets. His brother was a bada** at restarts. Only issue was, they ran with kenyons (which could bogg down during a restart unlike midgets) and Adam went over the tire as he was passing and through a wall. Was leader for the region until that.

Still. Was a great experience and fun to watch. His younger brother got into dirt (for maybe a year) then dropped out... He sucked.

Cooking, gardening, bass guitar, model kits and wargames (esp. ASL).

Coding too, though that's more so I can eventually find a job again seeing as Bach degrees aren't worth **** anymore in the UK, doubly so if you're disabled.

During the summer months I try to fish as much as I can. Camping with the family too!

During the colder months I tinker with electronics/gadgets and play video games. Yes, I'm still a child at heart.

All year long, I enjoy playing with my two little girls (3 & 6) and working on things around the house. Home brewing finds its way in there too!

Back