WL Yeast East Coast Ale 008--Problems?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Halter

Reaction score
I just got my Vile in the mail last week. When i Got it, it was warm. So i put in the fridge straight away. Well... Two days ago I looked at it and she had a definite seperation of sludge and brown liquid on top. And when i went downstairs to get me a brew, wouldn't you know i has the fridge set Too damn low and the vial had a small portion in the middle frozen!!

1. Has anyone else used this yeast with good results?

2. Does anyone think that my vial is screwed from all the temp extremes?

3. Is that seperation of liquid/ sediment normal.

This is my first liquid yeast that i have aquired. Does anyone think that it should still be O.K.?

1- Haven't tryed the yeast but have tried others

2- Temp extremes didn't help but one way to find out. Make a starter and see if fermentation starts. If it does, it is okay I would say. If it does not, find a local homebrew store or just order another. One way to really tell is make a small batch for a growler and see if the beer turns out okay (just take a small sample after primary and see if there are any bad off flavors). It nothing is wrong, just bottle the yeast in a sanitized empty water bottle and pitch into a new batch you brew.

3- The ones I have bought are like that and have had no probs. Just shake it, wait 30 min and pitch into wort.

Like I said if your really worried, take a full batch of wort and take out a 1/2 gal. or full gal and ferment it on the side. You can always reuse the yeast for another batch. Plus reusing save $$. Hope this helped.

Back