How bad did I just screw up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newdamage1

Reaction score
Just (somewhat) finished my first batch, as I was searching around in the box for the yeast, when I discovered a 1oz bag of Hop's pellets under one of the leafs on the bottom of the box. :(

I would imagine that it is way to late to add them into the mix as the yeast is added and she's in the closet in the garage.

So am I screwed? or will this batch still be drinkable?

Here's the recipe:http://www.crosby-baker.com/paleale.htm

P.s. The Wort smelt great and my Specific Gravity was just a tad off (1.0415)

Thoughts?
Kelly

Looks like it was a mostly pre-hopped kit with some flavor hops. So, it'll still have most of its bitterness, but not as much hop flavor. Probably not the best beer in the world, but should be drinkable.

It looks like that was possibly flavoring hops. They dont seem to be mentioned in the instructions though. If you are going to bottle in a week, I would just forget about them. If you were planning to rack to secondary, taste the beer as you rack and decide if you want to dry hop with them.

BTW What kind of hops are they?

- magno

If you're doing a secondary fermentation, you can add the hops when you rack to the secondary. It won't add any bitterness but you will add a bit of hop aroma to the brew.

magno said:
It looks like that was possibly flavoring hops. They dont seem to be mentioned in the instructions though. If you are going to bottle in a week, I would just forget about them. If you were planning to rack to secondary, taste the beer as you rack and decide if you want to dry hop with them.

BTW What kind of hops are they?

- magno

The baggie says "Cascade hop pellets" and man do they smell good! Really strong aroma.

I was planing to do a secondary, do I just plop them in the Carboy when I do the transfer.

Man, not checking that box was stupid, the first line of the instructions is " gather all ingredients!" duh! :drunk: . I think I was getting to excited about my first brew...

And thanks for the ultra fast replies!!

Kelly

No problem at all. You'll end up with great beer.
Try it and see if you can tell the difference.

If you feel you absolutley must add the hops you can add them to primary, secondary, in the bottle. Heck, even chew on them whilst drinking the beer.

It'll be good!

orfy said:
No problem at all. You'll end up with great beer.
Try it and see if you can tell the difference.

If you feel you absolutely must add the hops you can add them to primary, secondary, in the bottle. Heck, even chew on them whilst drinking the beer.

It'll be good!

What kind of effects should I expect from adding the Hop's to the primary now? Any chance of adding bitterness over doing it in the Secondary?

You'll add no bitterness at this point. You'll get some aroma, that's all. Do it in the secondary; if you do it in the primary, the active fermentation will "scrub" away most of the aroma.

newdamage1 said:
What kind of effects should I expect from adding the Hop's to the primary now? Any chance of adding bitterness over doing it in the Secondary?
No chance of added bitterness from dry hopping. You'll get a noticeable hop nose and perhaps a bit of flavor, but the bitterness is fairly set after the boil.

could you boil them in some water for a half hour and toss em into the secondary to get some bitter out of them???

Back