Stalled fermentation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

f1oored

Reaction score
I started a very basic cider about a month ago. After about two weeks the gravity was 1.016 and it has stayed there for the past two weeks. The original gravity was 1.05 so I'm sitting at about 4.5% abv. Fermentation seems to have stopped or stalled. Instead of trying to restart, can I just bottle it?

What is the chance of fermentation starting back up if I bottle? If it does start back up, with a gravity of 1.016 are we talking bombs or just really bubbly cider?

I think that is the upper level of what is acceptable for cider (1.015). It would be a sweet cider. You could probably bottle it, but chemical it to make sure it doesn't restart.

I would repitch a package of yeast and yeast nutrients to get it going again. If you are happy with the taste then add some chemical like ByCandleLightWinery said. I like to have mine around 1.000 if not a little lower.

I made a cider with an OG of 1.065(Five gal cider with 2lbs turbinado, no chemicals no pasteurization, safale s-04 yeast). After about a month it was at 1.016. I cold crashed it at that time for about four days, then racked to a secondary and continued to cold crash for seven days. Then after seven days in the secondary, I bottled it in 1gal. glass jugs. It was bottled on 12/03/09 and has been at 64*F since. So far no bottle bombs. I am storing these in a cooler just in case they do explode. Good luck to you.

I started a very basic cider about a month ago. After about two weeks the gravity was 1.016 and it has stayed there for the past two weeks. The original gravity was 1.05 so I'm sitting at about 4.5% abv. Fermentation seems to have stopped or stalled. Instead of trying to restart, can I just bottle it?

What is the chance of fermentation starting back up if I bottle? If it does start back up, with a gravity of 1.016 are we talking bombs or just really bubbly cider?

What yeast did you use? I think any commercial yeast should take your SG lower than that. You might try giving it a GENTLE swirl & raise the temp a few degrees, that might get your yeast back on track. I'd wait to bottle. Regards, GF.

If you like the taste i'd just bottle it and try a bottle every 2 or 3 weeks just to make sure, but i would bet it would'nt restart.

Latest posts

Back