How do you batch sparge without disturbing the grain bed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beernewb

Reaction score
and if you fly sparge how do you mash out? do you nee to mash over a burner? I only have coolers right now...

I batch sparge, and when I'm putting the first vourlauf (sp?) back in the batch, which is where I think you are referring to "disturbing the grain bed", I put a piece of tin foil over the grain and pour the wort back on top. That way the grain bed isn't disturbed for the rest of the draining.

If you batch sparge, you intentionally disturb the grain bed by stirring the sparge water into the mash. You then need to wait a few minutes and vorlauf until the runnings are clear again.

You can mash out with any of the following techniques:

Direct heat the mash until it's 170° F or greater (not possible with a cooler mash tun unless you use steam).

Decoct a calculated portion of the mash and add it back to affect an overall temp of 170° F or greater.

Add a calculated amount of very hot water to the mash, thus thinning it, but increasing the temp to 170° F or greater.

Fly sparge with 170-180° F sparge water (my preferred technique).

I use a cooler aslo. This is how I do it. After an hour of letting the grain mash (all grain brewing). I then add 1-1/1/2 gals of boiling water. then let it set for 5-10 minutes. I then start a slow dain. On the side I have a pot of boiled water. I then add 2 quarts at a time, just to keep the grain bed covered. I continue this method until I reach my pre-boil mark. I aslo have a low flame on my brewing pot while it's filling. Heres a pic

brew rig 001.jpg

Back