Cascade SMASH Recipe Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmarsh544

Reaction score
I have a pound of cascade hops on hand and I want to do a cascade/ ? SMASH recipe so I can better understand the flavor that cascade hops lend to a brew. Maybe even an IPA SMASH if anyone has a good recipe? Does anyone have a great recipe that would fit these parameters? I am open to anything as far as base malt, yeast and hop additions. (I will be brewing all grain, 5 gallon batches)

Thank you for any suggestions.

Here's my stab at it (I have not brewed this as of yet):

11.50 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) 100.00%
2.00 oz Cascade [5.50%] (60 min) 47.5 IBU
1.50 oz Cascade [5.50%] (10 min) 7.1 IBU
1.50 oz Cascade [5.50%] (5 min) 5.9 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50%] (0 min) -
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50%] (Dry Hop 7 days) -
WLP001 California Ale yeast

Mash for 90 minutes at 149F
Ferment at 67F

5 gal, 75% eff
6 SRM
OG: 1.065
FG: 1.015
6.6% ABV
61 IBUs

Looks like a good Smash. I'd toast 1 to 1.5 lbs of the Marris Otter @ 275 for 30 mins stiring halfway through. If your grains are milled already then I probably wouldnt try to roast them. Not sure if it is technically still a Smash with roasting but it will give it some character. I would also mash a little higher at 153 for 60 mins. I like the hop schedule. Either way it will be fine.

I guess you could go all Vienna. There was a thread about that recently.

You may be right. Like I said, I haven't brewed it yet. I based it largely off the American IPA recipe in Brewing Classic Styles and used the mash schedule from that recipe. The OG is the same.

Thanks so much for the advice, I think I'll make this my next brew. What change in flavor should I expect by going with all vienna in lieu of the US 2 row?

I almost said the same thing, but this is a Smash recipe.

exactly.
I did a Vienna and Cascade Pale that was good. I think Munich would also be a solid choice. Especially if you could find a light Munich.

Here's my stab at it (I have not brewed this as of yet):

11.50 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) 100.00%
2.00 oz Cascade [5.50%] (60 min) 47.5 IBU
1.50 oz Cascade [5.50%] (10 min) 7.1 IBU
1.50 oz Cascade [5.50%] (5 min) 5.9 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50%] (0 min) -
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50%] (Dry Hop 7 days) -
WLP001 California Ale yeast

Mash for 90 minutes at 149F
Ferment at 67F

5 gal, 75% eff
6 SRM
OG: 1.065
FG: 1.015
6.6% ABV
61 IBUs

Wanted to follow up if you ever made this.

I've got several pounds of Cascade whole cone hops from last fall to use...

I'm going to try your recipe but with 12 pounds of Vienna ( my local supplier is out of two row) and I was gonna experiment with a bit more dry hops and also use BRY 97 yeast as I've got a couple of packs that are expiring soon....

Trying for a decent smash ipa

Wanted to follow up if you ever made this.

I've got several pounds of Cascade whole cone hops from last fall to use...

I'm going to try your recipe but with 12 pounds of Vienna ( my local supplier is out of two row) and I was gonna experiment with a bit more dry hops and also use BRY 97 yeast as I've got a couple of packs that are expiring soon....

Trying for a decent smash ipa

I've had good luck with that yeast.
I like Vienna lagers which I have made with mostly Vienna malt.
Cascade is a classic.
Should result in a good straight-forward IPA.

yeah i just got ahold of 10lbs of vienna (wanted 12, but he only had 10... )...

gonna make this weekend...

Was thinking of doing 3.5 oz whole cone cascade at 60, 1 oz at 20, 1.5 at 15, 2 oz at 5 and 1 oz at whirpool. Dry hop at 7 and 10 days with 2 oz at each.

Latest posts

Back