Birthday Batch-o-Wizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimsawyer

Reaction score
Really excited! Just pitched yeast into my primary... hate this part. Gotta wait 10 days to transfer to 2nd. Another week to bottle... another week to get to bubblie.... and lets face it, if you don't age it for at least a month it won't be that great anyhow, hehehe... and the wort tastes so good!!! Not overly bitter, can't really detect the lemon either, maybe just a hint after the honey isn't so overpowering, but that's what I was kinda shooting for. (1.064 grav to start... hehehe, WHEEE!!!!!:ban: )

2lbs 5oz honey
7lbs wheat extract
2oz hallertau 4.1% hops
1oz mt. hood 4.3% hops

3 lemons worth of juice
1/4 lemon's worth of zest

WYeast 1010AMWHEAT date:12Apr06

Tossed the honey into a gallon of water and heated to 150 degrees F. for 20 min. Cooled and poured into primary. Boiled wheat extract and hallertau hops for 1 hour. Added lemon juice, lemon zest and mt. hood hops at 7 min... Going to prime with honey as well. my LHBS guy looked up on a chart how much to use, said 5.5 oz honey.... ohhh, can't wait. Anyone think it will retain any honey flavor? Anyhow, I think about the end of august it'll be ready to enjoy. Happens to be my birthday about then. When I bottle I'm going to use this HUGENORMOUS bottle I was given. Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale bottle with a ceramic flip top. The sucker is 3 Qt. 5.4 Fl. Oz. :D I think I'll have a BBQ on my birthday and open that up about 10 min before the burgers come off the grill, or steak, or ribs.... so many choices, so few parties. I know some people don't like hefe, but those who do what dish would compliment this beer the best cooked over a bbq (not gas, charcoal with some oak chips from time to time. Could always taste the propane from a gas grill :( ) Well, gonna crack open a beer watch some TIVO and crash. here's a rockin for you all!!!! :rockin:

:rockin: Oh yeah! Just bottled my batch-o-birthday-wizen. Primed it with 5.5oz of clover honey. Oh yeah, tasted the beer and it's tasting good, even without the carbonation in its green state. Can't detect the lemon but there is a noticable hint of something you can't put your finger on which makes you want another sip/pull/chug etc... OG was 1.064 and fermented down to 1.014... that's a difference of .05... Multiplying that by 105 I am calculating 5.25% ABV! (that is how it's done, right?) Boiled that batch of brew 6/08/06, had a bunch of overtime and the 12 day no kitchen sink deal so it kinda sat in the secondary for 19 days. Man, can't wait till mid-end august. Cracking open my HUGE bottle of it. I happened on a 3 quart 5oz bottle that had Oaked Arrogant Bastard with a flip top on it. that's the one I am opening on my birthday(give or take a few days, having a party on one of the 2 weekends surrounding it) WOOO HOOO!!! Can't wait to CHUG-A-LUG BABY!!!!:mug: :tank: :drunk: Anyhow, catch ya later!

I thought the equation was (OG-FG) x 127.5 = abv = for your batch 6.4% abv.

Is this wrong?

- WW

wilsonwj said:
I thought the equation was (OG-FG) x 127.5 = abv = for your batch 6.4% abv.

Is this wrong?

- WW
I am pretty sure you are right. Plugged it into TastyBrew.com and It came out about that. I have no idea where I got 105. LOL!:drunk: Woo, only 30 days till I crack one open!

Well, I was asked from a co-worker how my B-day beer was coming and I diddn't have an awnser. So for "scientific research" I had to open one and examine its contents. What I can tell you is there isn't a strong honey flavor, but there is just a hint of it left over. More than I expected. I diddn't expect to have any honey flavor/armoa etc... left. So that was exciting. I also couldn't taste much of the lemon. I know it's in there so I think I can taste it, but really it's more like a flavor that you can't put your finger on. Like you got your hands on a really good yeast and you dont' know what you are tasting that's different, but you know something's different AND YOU LOVE IT!!! I was so impressed with it I went out and bought all the ingredients to brew another batch. After that batch is done I'm throwing a 3rd batch right on the trube in the bottom of the fermenter! It is by far the best Hefewizen I've had(of course, this is just my humble opinion). I diddn't expect it to turn out as absolutely WONDERFUL as it did. When I go AG I will most likely try a few recepies with that same yeast and the same amounts of lemon and honey. :rockin: I just can't wait till Aug. 19th. I'm definately drinking my fill.

I'm glad your's turned out well. After reading your description of the batch my mouth was watering so i decided to do a batch myself. I added too much honey and got geyser bottles. But, there is a good ending to the story: i geysered all the beer into my multiple Masses and had a good ol' drunken time. Cheers, and good to hear yours turned out well. :mug:

Back