Beer & Food Pairing Book?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 to Brewmasters Table. Im only a quarter of the way through it right now, and its been most helpful.

I'm going to go against the grain and say that anybody who says that you need a particular beer to go with specific foods is just plain crazy. That is like wine pairing... Just drink what you enjoy.

thanks everyone for your insight. I'd heard about this book on NPR but forgotten the name. Thanks to BigB as well. I'm learning to listen to you guys' advise after a friend of mine who's brewed for years said "You can always brew better beer than you can buy". Tried my first batch a few weeks ago after it conditioned for 3 weeks and wow!

There's a small section on food pairing in Extreme Brewing, but I've heard many good things about Brewmaster's Table, and that book is on my wish list, so I'd head there first.

I'm going to go against the grain and say that anybody who says that you need a particular beer to go with specific foods is just plain crazy. That is like wine pairing... Just drink what you enjoy.

You can enjoy any good beer/wine with any good food, but when you have something that pairs well, it takes both the food and drink to the next level. I don't have sophisticated tastes and it doesn't happen to me often, but when it does happen, it's definitely memorable.

He Said Beer, She Said Wine: Impassioned Food Pairings to Debate and Enjoy -- From Burgers to Brie and Beyond by Marnie Old and Sam Calagione

Forced repartee that comes off stupid, but the underlying info is good.

You can enjoy any good beer/wine with any good food, but when you have something that pairs well, it takes both the food and drink to the next level. I don't have sophisticated tastes and it doesn't happen to me often, but when it does happen, it's definitely memorable.

Ok, I would concede to that... That is a very good point.

had a few good pairings myself & they are fantastic but always with a catch. Make you way too drunk & way too full.
Deadly glutting combo

Yes to all that (including my unsophisticated palate). :)

I think it was in Mosher's book where he basically advocates matching the intensity levels of the beer and food...I'd say that's a great golden rule for pairing.

I felt exactly the same way until my wife picked me up Brewmasters Table. I first thought, why the hell do I need this book for, but I read it and realized it is an exceptional book with plenty to teach. My perspective has changed...you can brew a beer by following directions that come with a kit just like you can pair beer with food with a couple suggestions from your taste buds, but if you read up on how to brew your brews will get better because you begin to understand the science behind the art. Just like with pairing beer to food, you start to understand why things go well together so your taste bud suggestions start to make sense and you know how to better find those magical pairings in the future. I will hold that a basil pesto pasta with a Belgian golden strong is one of my favorites.

about half way done with The Brewmaster's Table. A great read with a wealth of advise. It's helped me make a few ok beer dinners into some great ones. Thanks again for the advise

Back