Gimp 2.4 Released

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BNVince

Reaction score
I just wanted to let everybody know that the new version of Gimp was released last week. This typically isn't a big deal but they have added a new feature that was almost imperative for making labels.

They have added a Text To Path option so you can curve your text. This was the biggest problem with making circular labels before in Gimp.

You can download it from here.

I tried Text to Path in the prerelease version and it just doesn't work all that well for my tastes, especially if you need to edit the text later. What I do for text is to make the base image in the Gimp and import it into Inkscape. Being a vector graphics program, the text handling is a lot better.

Here is a tutorial on doing text to path in Gimp.

Gimp certainly isn't as powerful as Photoshop but that whole free thing makes it my first choice.

One day, I'm going to try and write up a little tutorial on how to make a basic label using Gimp. One day...

YooperBrew said:
I downloaded it last week, but I haven't used it. I'm not intelligent enough to figure it out. Is there a tutorial somewhere on how to use it?

Same problem I had. I just don't have the attention span for the software or the tutorial :drunk:

FINALLY they've added a curve-text feature! I've had to use powerpoint for all my circular labels because of that, not anymore:ban:

I just downloaded Gimp last night and was messing around on it. I think ill be needing to download the tutorial cause Im totally computer illiterate. But the program was free so I will give it a go.

everything i have experience with gimp is that is a more of a 3D graphics creation program that anything else. I would recommend macromedia fireworks or adobe illustrator for creating labels. Im not sure about the price as I can download both for free from LSU, but they are definitely better than trying to use GIMP.

I use both Gimp and Fireworks.

Gimp is really a good tool to have, if nothing else.

Just started using Inkscape as well. I hope they can do a bit more with the interface, but it is a good program!

Just started using Scribus - open source desktop publishing.

http://www.scribus.net/

Jonathan

Back